Tuesday, 10 December 2013

These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and Netgalley.
These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

--

A timeless love story, THESE BROKEN STARS sets into motion a sweeping science fiction series of companion novels. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.


These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and Netgalley.)
Tarver is a decorated soldier and a war hero. Lilac is daughter of one of the most powerful men in the universe.
They meet on board the Icarus – a giant spaceship capable of holding 50,000 passengers, but not capable of going through a planet’s atmosphere. The Icarus is a space-dwelling vehicle only, made by Lilac’s father’s company.

When the Icarus is unexpectedly pulled out of hyperspace, everybody heads to the escape pods, only for the escape pods to not launch due to a surge or electricity. Suddenly the Icarus is crashing, and the odds of survival are low.

Lilac and Tarver survive due to both of their quick thinking, but now they’re the only living inhabitants of a partly-terraformed planet, and it seems that rescue is not on the way.
Can Lilac and Tarver find a way to survive? Can they find a way to signal help? And can they find a way to live with each other in the mean time?


I don’t think I have ever read anything quite like this, and I really enjoyed it!

Lilac was an interesting character in that even though most would have thought that she lived a charmed life, she had suffered at the hands of her father, and had had to find ways to live with the things she knew. She did come across as a little spoiled at times, and had a bit of a diva attitude at times as well, but was actually remarkably able to adapt to the difficult circumstances she found herself in, and really showed what she was like on the inside rather than the outside.

Tarver was also an interesting character. Firstly because he pushed Lilac to be better, and secondly because he never lost hope that that was possible. He took a difficult situation and somehow made them survive, which was nothing short of remarkable.

I liked the storyline in this book. It was just so unique, and the mysteries and surprises just kept coming and coming. This was not your average dystopian, or survival story, and at times I really didn’t want to put this down.

The pace in this one was quite slow, and the middle did drag a little bit. This didn’t last long though, and the mysteries were enough to keep me interested, and keep me wanting to read. I liked the mysteries, I liked the romance, I liked the suspense and I even liked the occasional creepy moment. This book seemed to have a bit of everything, and I even found myself crying at one particularly sad moment, which very rarely happens to me! So glad I wasn’t on the bus at the 75% mark or I think I would have got some really funny looks!

The ending of this was also surprising, and I liked the way we got snippets of Tarver being questioned at the end of each chapter, so we knew that they would eventually find their way home.

If this book reminded me of anything, I’d suggest it reminded me of the TV show ‘Lost’, with the unexplainable happenings and the inability to know what would happen next. I thought the whole thing was really nicely done though, and it will be interesting to see what the second story in the series has in store.
Overall; a truly unique and enjoyable sci-fi/dystopian/mystery story, with a touch of romance.
9 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. Me too. It made me realize how sci-fi world building can be similar to fantasy, my favorite genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard such great things about this book so I am happy you loved it too. The characters and story sound great.

    ReplyDelete