Tuesday, 31 December 2013

The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
The Promise of Amazing
Blurb (From Goodreads):
Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how.

Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how.

One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love.


The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


The Promise of Amazing(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
16-year-old Wren is a quiet girl who doesn’t like being told that she’ll never go to Harvard, not that it really matters, because what she really wants to do is take over the family hotel/restaurant business.

17-year-old Grayson has been kicked out of school, and doesn’t like to tell why. When he nearly chokes at his cousin’s wedding, Wren rescues him, and it’s love at first sight.
Why was Grayson kicked out of school? Will Wren get to take over the family business? And is this book amazing?


Well if the title refers to the book, then someone needs to add the word ‘Not’, because this book was anything but Amazing.

I can’t say that I liked any of the characters in this book. Wren was a pretty nothingness character, and when she moaned about people saying she was quiet, I couldn’t help but agree with them. She was quiet, and meek, didn’t stick up for herself, and allowed herself to be very easily lead all the time. She also had problems saying what she meant, and admitting how she felt about things, and I got pretty sick of it.

Grayson was a character that I wasn’t even indifferent to; I really disliked him in fact. He was nothing but a cheap con artist, and I really didn’t care for the things he got up to. He was always showing off, always hitting on girls just to see what he could get, and didn’t seem to mind breaking rules, especially real-life, legal rules. I’m sorry, but theft, cheating, and playing the clown just don’t do it for me.

The storyline in this was fairly average boy-meets-girl, with all of Grayson’s sh*t thrown into the mix. The things that Grayson did were bad and immoral, and I just wasn’t impressed.

When Wren first met Grayson, I really couldn’t believe that she liked him. Showing off by throwing hot dogs in the air and catching them in his mouth, and then choking on one, is not sexy, and I really didn’t get why she was thinking of him after the incident, and thinking that he was ‘hot’. I just thought he was immature and a bit gross really.
I didn’t really fathom the romance from then on either, because it was like a romance between a piece of cardboard and a slug, and I really wished that Wren would just squish him and move on.

The ending to this was pretty pathetic too, and I wasn’t impressed with the sort-of ‘happily ever after’. I was pleased with how things turned out for Wren’s family, but I wasn’t impressed at Wren and Grayson.
Overall; most definitely Not Amazing.
4.5 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, I heard good things for this one so that sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a bummer to hear! I had high hopes for this book. The cover is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice honest review about the characters

    ReplyDelete