Wednesday, 18 December 2013

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White


The Chaos of Stars
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal.

Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.


The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Chaos of Stars(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Isadora is the daughter of the Goddess Isis, and she’s seriously miffed that she is not immortal like her mother, and sees this as proof that her mother doesn’t love her.
When her mother than announces that she is pregnant, Isadora is less than impressed, so when her mother suggests that Isadora might not be safe following some disturbing dreams, Isadora sees an opportunity, and flies to San Diego to live with her older brother.

Once in San Diego, Isadora begins to make friends, and even finds a potential love interest in a boy called Ry, if Isadora ever had any intention of falling in love that is, which she doesn’t.
What do her strange dreams mean though? Does her mother really love her at all? And will Isadora ever give in to love herself?


This was an okay story, but the pace was too slow, and I had difficulty staying focused on the story.

Isadora was an okay character. She was passionate about the things that she loved, and had a difficult relationship with her mother – pretty typical for a teenage girl really. She did have some quite strange ideas about love and family though, and the way she treated Ry was a little odd at times.

The storyline in this was a mixture of contemporary romance mixed with ancient Egyptian myths. I did realise this before I started the book, but it just wasn’t quite what I expected.
The initial parts of the story, which were mainly scenes between Isadora and her mother in Egypt were pretty strange, and the chunks of information at the start of each chapter, which covered parts of the Egyptian myths just didn’t really interest me.
The parts of the storyline that dealt with Isadora’s dream didn’t really interest me either, and I personally didn’t really find much of interest in this book until the 80% mark, and even then it wasn’t exactly edge of your seat excitement.

There was a happy ending to the tale, and there was a sort of lesson learned for Isadora on the subject of family and love, but I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this book after reading and loving all of the author’s other books.
Overall; an okay story, but not quite what I was expecting.
6 out of 10.


4 comments:

  1. I quite liked this one, contrary to the majority of bloggers I know! I loved the story and the premise, and especially Ry. But I agree about Isadora, she was just okay. Kinda annoyed me at times, too. It's definitely different from White's other books, but I love mythology so I had to love this :P
    Great review :)

    Richa @ City of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet. Not sure if I will though it looks like Richa liked it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree -- I loved Paranormalcy and was so excited for this. I liked it, but it was definitely lacking something….
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I heard this one was too slow. Such a pretty cover though.

    ReplyDelete