Friday, 13 December 2013

Feudlings in Flames (Fate on Fire #2) by Wendy Knight


Feudlings in Flames (Fate on Fire, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Ari thought being in love with her prophesied nemesis sucked. But being responsible for her best friend's kidnapping? It sucks worse.

Ari and Shane thought they’d beaten Fate and ended the three-hundred year war plagu-ing their people. They thought love had won. But they were so, so wrong.

Instead of graduating high school like the normals, they’re in a battle to save Charity – Shane’s cousin, Ari's best friend, and the seer who might hold the key to ending the war for good. To do that, they’re forced to accept help from a boy they aren’t even sure they can trust. He’s powerful and knows spells even Ari’s never heard of, but he’s also secre-tive and has a past he’s determined to keep hidden . Add to that the fact that he has his sights set on Ari, and Shane would rather do without his help.

Ari has bigger problems than mysterious boys and their strange powers. The powerful Edren Family is hunting her brother, and she can't very well save him or Charity while they’re constantly being attacked by her own people. To stop the raids, she has to take the fight to them. But if she starts hunting the family that raised her, what kind of mon-ster will she be?

Fate still waits for the death of one by the hand of the other.


Feudlings in Flames by Wendy Knight

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


Feudlings in Flames (Fate on Fire, #2)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Fate on Fire’ series.
The war continues on, and now Charity has been kidnapped.
Can Ari save Charity? Can she maintain her relationship with Shane? And can she win the war?


I didn’t like the first book in this series, but I’ve had some luck with sequels being better than the first book recently, so I decided to give this a go. Unfortunately, I didn’t like this either though.

I had problems with Ari in this book. She had let the whole ‘Edren Prodigy’ go to her head, and was pretty full of herself, even going so far as to tell someone “What do you mean you could help me? I don’t need help. Ever.” and had also developed a serious mean streak. I couldn’t quite believe the callous and even bloodthirsty demeanour she had developed. Instructing people to ‘Go in. (and) Kill everything in our way.’, and then setting a building on fire, and telling the people trapped inside “Soon they (the flames) will engulf this whole estate. I suggest you run.”.

The other characters weren’t much better, and Shane was just bizarre. When a mystery boy started attacking Ari, he didn’t worry about her getting killed, no he worried that she was going to dump him for the guy attacking her! I mean talk about strange ideas! And he then spent most of the book whining about how insecure he was, and how she was bound to dump him for someone else. Sorry, but I think you should have other priorities. Like not getting killed!

The storyline in this was a little odd too. It mostly revolved around rescuing Charity (a seer), who had been kidnapped by the bad guys, as well as the on-going war being fought between the two different sides. I have to say that the bad guys seemed to be treating Charity pretty well most of the time though, considering she was a prisoner and all.
There was some romance in this book, but I can’t say I really liked it. This was probably partly to do with the fact that I didn’t like the characters, but also because they had a very strange relationship, and because when Shane turned around and told Ali that she was incapable of love, she actually believed him, and couldn’t see that he was lying!
The rest of the storyline also annoyed me. Why freaking practice throwing spells at each other, with the one person who you are destined to kill?! I mean how stupid can you get?

I can’t say I really liked this book to be honest. I didn’t find it exciting or interesting, and the characters just irritated me. The ending was alright, and at least we didn’t get a cliff-hanger, but I don’t think I’ll be giving the third book a chance.
Overall; irritating.
4.5 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. aw, sorry to hear that the sequel wasn't better for you. Hope your next read is better

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I often try sequels too even if book #1 wasn't that great because I have seen series get better with each book. Too bad it didn't work this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well. I don't give many authors a second chance in a series, but I'm so darn picky. You are a better person than I'll ever be.

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete