Sunday, 1 December 2013

Another Little Piece of My Heart by Tracey Martin

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN, and Netgalley.
Another Little Piece of My Heart
Blurb (from Goodreads):
What if your devastating break-up became this summer’s hit single? In this rock-and-roll retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, music can either bring you together or tear you apart.

At her dying mother’s request, Claire dumps Jared, the only boy she’s ever loved. Left with a broken family and a broken heart, Claire is furious when she discovers that her biggest regret became Jared’s big break. While Jared is catapulted into rock-star status, another piece of Claire’s heart crumbles every time his song plays on the radio.

The summer after her senior year, it’s been months since the big break-up, and Claire is just trying to keep her head down and make it through a tense trip to the beach with her family. But when Jared shows up, and old feelings reignite, can Claire and Jared let go of the past? Or will they be stuck singing the same old refrain?


Another Little Piece of My Heart by Tracey Martin

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


Another Little Piece of My Heart(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN, and Netgalley.)
Claire dumped her boyfriend Jared because her dying mother asked her to. Jared wrote a song about how Claire dumped him because she was a ‘daddy’s girl’, and ended up topping the charts, and even getting awards for the song.

Now Jared is back though, and Claire can’t help being awful to him, and trying to prove how over him she is, even if it’s anything but the truth.
Is Claire really over Jared? Is she really a Daddy’s girl? And is there any hope of the two making peace?


When I started this book I was hoping for something light and fluffy, instead I got dull and irritating.

I just couldn’t warm to Claire as a character, I disliked how much she moaned and whined about things that I felt didn’t warrant attention. When your mom is dead, and your trust fund is gone, moaning about some ex-boyfriend who wrote a song about you just seems a little immature. Surely you should be more upset over your mother’s death than some silly song.

The storyline in this annoyed me unfortunately. As if Claire’s constant whining wasn’t annoying enough, we then got some petty snide comments thrown about between Claire and Jared, which basically just convinced me that Jared was a total poo head, which further distanced me from Claire. Why the hell she even liked this bloke was quite beyond me.
The pair then also seemed to be doing things to prove to each other how over each other they were, and to prove that they were the better, and more attractive person, which was also pretty petty and annoying. Then we had Claire going from telling Jared how awful he is, and how over him she is, to her defending him to her dad, because really she was still in love with him. I mean shoot me now. This whole thing was just so irritating!

The ending was then predictable, and again irritating, and I was basically just relieved when it was over.
Overall; dull and predictable, with irritating main characters.
4.5 out of 10.


1 comment: