Tuesday, 3 December 2013

All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry


All the Truth That's In Me
Blurb (From Goodreads):
Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last.

All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


All the Truth That's In Me(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Judith was abducted 2 years ago, and has now returned home with her tongue cut out.
She lives in a small village community, in a non-modern time, and is made to feel pretty worthless.
She fancies a boy called Lucas, but it seems clear to everyone but her, that he will never marry her.
Why was Judith abducted? Why was she returned? What did she suffer during her 2 years of captivity? And what truths is she unable to tell?


This was a really strange book, and not at all what I was expecting.

Judith was an okay character, but living in her head felt a bit messy! As the story went on I began to realise why she was voluntarily mute, but I kinda wished she’d speak up and stand up for herself a bit, and I hated how women were treated as lesser than the men in Judith’s society.

This book was not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting a mystery/ suspense story, and instead I got this strange historical fiction/mystery story. I thought that this would be a mystery about Judith’s disappearance, but instead it seemed to be more about her life after she returned, and the way that people behaved towards her.

The writing was also odd. In places I appreciated in, and in others I didn’t. At times it was almost like poetry, whilst at others the odd, choppy, stilted sentences were just irritating. It definitely took time for me to get into this book, and I did eventually begin to catch on to the way the author had written the book, but unfortunately for me, by the time I had begun to appreciate the book, the storyline just went downhill, and I was bored.

The ending was actually okay, although I was pleased that the book was shorter than I thought. I was pleased that there was a happy ending, but I can’t say that I really enjoyed getting there.
This book was just nothing like what I was expecting, and I think a lot of people will find this difficult to appreciate. I had no idea that this book didn’t have a contemporary setting, and I think a lot of people will feel exactly the same way.
Overall; a strange historical fiction story, with a very different writing style.
4.5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I have this ARC and have yet to read it. I was a little hesitant about the second person narration and have been waiting to be in the right frame of mind. Not sure how I'll feel about this…. we'll see.
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like strange but this one does sound odd for me.

    ReplyDelete