Tuesday, 24 December 2013

A Christmas Carol (Christmas Books #1) by Charles Dickens


A Christmas Carol
Blurb (from Goodreads):
One of the best-loved and most quoted stories of “the man who invented Christmas”—English writer Charles Dickens—A Christmas Carol debuted in 1843 and has touched millions of hearts since.

Cruel miser Ebeneezer Scrooge has never met a shilling he doesn’t like...and hardly a man he does. And he hates Christmas most of all. When Scrooge is visited by his old partner, Jacob Marley, and the ghosts of Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Yet to Come, he learns eternal lessons of charity, kindness, and goodwill. Experience a true Victorian Christmas!


A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


A Christmas Carol(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk.) I would never have thought to have read this book if it wasn't a group read for group on goodreads, and having read it I have mixed feelings! Let's start by saying that 'The Muppets Christmas Carol' is one of my favourite films. I know that might sound odd but it is, I love it ☺  

So when I started reading this book, this film was all I could think about. And thus Bob became Kermit, his wife Miss Piggy, etc. and I have to say that if I didn't love this film, I wouldn't have liked this book. I really do think it's that simple. 

 

I was actually really pleased to realise that a lot of the spoken lines in the film are the same as they are in the book, and this is probably why I liked it. 

  

I was also really pleased to see how closely the characters in the film resembled those in the book - especially the ghosts! 

 
 I did struggle at points during this book. Some of the descriptive bits went on for too long, and some of what was said was also lengthy and dull. I really do think that if I wasn't for the film this would be getting 2 stars instead of 3.5, but for now I just really want to watch the Muppets Christmas Carol!  

If only I could find the DVD...
 

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to read this classic. happy it was good.

    ReplyDelete