Saturday, 23 November 2013

Unchosen (The Reaper Diaries #2) by Michele Vail

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to the Fantastic Flying Book Club, and Michele Vail.
Unchosen (The Reaper Diaries, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
I thought the worst of my reaper training was behind me… turns out I was wrong. Dead wrong.

Molly Bartolucci has done a lot of growing up but after being accused of using illegal magic at her school for necromancers, reaper-in-training Molly is treading lightly. As the destined leader of Anubis’s Chosen, she needs to study hard, train harder, and stay out of trouble.

Uh, right.

It doesn’t help that she’s feeling more than academic about her melt-your-bones hot reaping instructor, Rath. And if her relationship drama isn’t enough to drive her over the edge, she has to deal with mother issues, nosy little sisters, suspicious friends, and an unnamed force stalking her at school.

Then her family is attacked, and her bio-dad ends up comatose in the hospital. Now, Molly has to uncover who’s trying to hurt her loved ones—and all without the help of Anubis.

Unchosen by Michele Vail

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Unchosen (The Reaper Diaries, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to the Fantastic Flying Book Club, and Michele Vail.)
This is book 2 in the ‘The Reaper Diaries’ series.
Molly has sorted out her little mistake with Rick, but she’s got more things to worry about now when she’s in trouble for possession of a soul box, and there are issues with the role of the Kebechet.
Will Molly get kicked out of school? Will she be the next Kebechet? And where is Anubis?


This was an okay story, but it was just missing something for me.

Molly was an okay character, if a little immature, and did come across as very na├»ve and childish at times. Her ‘notes to self’ were a little strange at times, and I also caught a Judy Blume shout-out when Molly asks ‘Are you there Anubis? It’s me, Molly’.

The storyline was okay, but the story felt a little wooden. At times I felt like I was reading the script from a made for TV movie, or watching a pantomime, and certain parts were just downright cheesy.

The info dumps were still there in abundance in this book, and there were whole chunks that just bored me. The storyline became quite convoluted in places, and at times I found it hard to follow exactly what was going on.

The romance between Molly and Rath seemed to escalate quite quickly, and Molly seemed to be very comfortable with this.

There were some twists and turns and action in this book, but for me they all seemed to come with a ‘Da-Daa!’ soundtrack, which was again a bit cheesy.

The ending was okay, but we were left with a cliff-hanger, and I can’t say that I’m all that desperate to find out what happens next.
Overall; an okay story, but a little cheesy and rough around the edges in places.
6 out of 10.


1 comment: