Sunday, 3 November 2013

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers


This is Not a Test
Blurb (from Goodreads):
It’s the end of the world. Six students have taken cover in Cortege High but shelter is little comfort when the dead outside won’t stop pounding on the doors. One bite is all it takes to kill a person and bring them back as a monstrous version of their former self. To Sloane Price, that doesn’t sound so bad. Six months ago, her world collapsed and since then, she’s failed to find a reason to keep going. Now seems like the perfect time to give up. As Sloane eagerly waits for the barricades to fall, she’s forced to witness the apocalypse through the eyes of five people who actually want to live. But as the days crawl by, the motivations for survival change in startling ways and soon the group’s fate is determined less and less by what’s happening outside and more and more by the unpredictable and violent bids for life—and death—inside. When everything is gone, what do you hold on to?


This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

My rating: 2.38 of 5 stars


This is Not a Test(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Sloane is depressed. Her father beats her, her mother is dead, and her sister ran away. When there’s suddenly an outbreak of a deadly disease that turns people into the walking dead, she figures that it is as good a way as any to end it all.
The kids that she ends up stuck in the school with disagree though, and try to keep her alive.
Should Sloane end it all? Is her sister still alive? And will she win out against the zombies?


This book was just so boring, and the main character annoyed me.

I think that Sloane was supposed to be depressed, but for me it was like she had retreated inside herself, and I really just wanted to slap her and see if it knocked some sense into her. I got that her sister had left and her father was abusive, but I mean seriously, she really started to annoy me. If she wanted to die that bad the others should have just left her to it, as she obviously wasn’t about to protect herself.

The storyline in this was okay, but it wasn’t very exciting. These kids basically holed up in a school, and that was all they did. Barricaded themselves in, moaned about the cold showers, and wondered about how many people were dead. Pretty boring really. I also thought it was pretty unnecessary to tell us about one of the other students masturbating, and they were also too dumb to work out that if one person can get in, they are not safe.
The ending was also pretty rubbish. It basically just stopped. It was like the author just couldn’t be bothered to carry on writing anymore, so just left them, in peril and called it an end. It wasn’t an end, but I understood how bored she was, I didn’t want to go on either.
Overall; disappointing, and ultimately boring.
4.75 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I always wanted to read this one but I am happy I never got it now.

    ReplyDelete