Thursday, 21 November 2013

Made of Stars by Kelley York


Made of Stars
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When eighteen-year-old Hunter Jackson and his half sister, Ashlin, return to their dad’s for the first winter in years, they expect everything to be just like the warmer months they’d spent there as kids. And it is—at first. But Chance, the charismatic and adventurous boy who made their summers epic, is harboring deep secrets. Secrets that are quickly spiraling into something else entirely.

The reason they've never met Chance’s parents or seen his home is becoming clearer. And what the siblings used to think of as Chance's quirks—the outrageous stories, his clinginess, his dangerous impulsiveness—are now warning signs that something is seriously off.

Then Chance's mom turns up with a bullet to the head, and all eyes shift to Chance and his dad. Hunter and Ashlin know Chance is innocent...they just have to prove it. But how can they protect the boy they both love when they can’t trust a word Chance says?


Made of Stars by Kelley York

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


Made of Stars(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Teen and Rockstar blog tours.)
18-year-old Hunter and Ashlin (half brother and sister) are both returning to their father’s home to stay with him for a while.
Hunter and Ashlin usually live with their respective mothers, and visit their father over the summer, and have a long-time friend called Chance, who they meet up with every time they visit their father.

This time when they meet Chance things are different, as its winter not summer, and they’ve all grown up a bit more. Both Hunter and Ashlin seem to have romantic feelings for Chance, but it’s obvious that they can’t both be with him.
Who will win Chance’s heart? Will Hunter ever admit that he really has feelings for another guy? And what is going on with Chance’s home life?


This was an okay story, but it was nothing like I expected, and the ending was pretty poo.

I can’t say that I really liked any of the characters in this book, there was just something about them that put me off, and I can’t say that I really connected with any of them. Hunter was a big sissy, who even hid his feelings from himself, Ashlin was okay, but put herself in dangerous situations without really thinking what she was doing, and Chance just put me on edge - it seemed obvious that he was hiding something, and I just couldn’t relate to him at all.

The storyline in this book annoyed me to be honest. The blurb goes on about Chance’s mother turning up dead, and Chance and his father are suspects, but this doesn’t happen until we are 75% of the way through the book! How ridiculous to have something in the blurb that doesn’t happen until the book is nearly finished! Not impressed by this at all.
What this book was really about was the fact that Hunter and Ashlin both fancied the same boy – Chance, and Hunter was basically too scared to admit his feelings to anyone, even himself, and this got old really quickly.
When we got some romance I did like it, but there was so little of it I felt a bit short changed, and again, Hunter really annoyed me that he couldn’t admit his real feelings, even when Chance was coming on to him.

The ending of this book also irritated me. We got a conjecture answer to the mystery, and then a non-end. Nothing was resolved, everything was left hanging, I was seriously annoyed, and then to make matters worse the last 12% of the book was an excerpt from the authors other book! I wanted answers, I wanted some sort of a happy ending, and what I actually got was – 'read on for a sneak peak at Kelley York’s haunting thriller'. I mean really?
Overall; a disappointing story, a spoiler for a blurb, and a very poor non-ending.
4.5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I has bad endings. I have this one to read, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about anyone else but I'm out. Not touching it with any kind of pole.

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete