Sunday, 10 November 2013

Insanity (Asylum #1) by Lauren Hammond


Insanity (Asylum, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Adelaide Carmichael and Damien Allen couldn’t be more opposite.

Adelaide’s mother abandoned her when she was ten years old, leaving her to be raised by her abusive and alcoholic father.

Damien on the other hand came from a wealthy family, was a local celebrity, and seemed to have a bright future ahead of him.

Despite their differences, Adelaide and Damien were young, wild, and fiercely in love.

And they had a plan.

They were going to run away.

Be together forever.

And their plan was set in motion, until tragedy struck and for some reason, Adelaide wound up in The Oakhill Institution for the insane.

Adelaide has no idea what she did to wind up at Oakhill, but she knows one thing for sure...

She wants out.

And after Damien follows her there to aid her in escaping, Adelaide slowly begins putting together the pieces of her memory that are missing.

And it doesn’t take Adelaide long to figure out that sometimes...

That one true love never dies.

Warning:Do not read if you have a weak heart.


Insanity by Lauren Hammond

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Insanity (Asylum, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Adelaide (Addy) wakes up an asylum, with no idea how she got there, or what is happening to her. All she knows is that she’s not with Damien – the boy she loved and planned to run away with.
Why is Addy in the asylum? Where is Damien? And why didn’t they run away together as planned?


This was an interesting story, and I liked the suspense.

Addy was an interesting character because it was really difficult to know what was real, and what was in her head. I would think that she was delusional, then I would think that there must be some truth behind her delusions, and then she’d do something else and I’d just be like ‘What?’.

The storyline didn’t really become apparent until the very end of the story, and I have to say that I was quite shocked at the way things turned out. There were some twists and turns, some of which I didn’t see coming, and some which I did, and some were really surprising!
The pace annoyed me a little at times, especially in the beginning when it wasn’t really clear what was going on, but thankfully this improved towards the end.
The ending was most surprising though, and we were left with a total cliff-hanger, and masses of unanswered questions. I’m glad that I already have the second book to read!
Overall; took a while to get going, but was much better towards the end.
7 out of 10.


1 comment: