Saturday, 30 November 2013

Grave Sight (Harper Connelly #1) by Charlaine Harris


Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Harper Connolly is honest, ethical and loyal - and ever since a bolt of lightening zapped her on the head, she's had an extra-special talent: she can find dead people. It's not a common-or-garden job. Some people find Harper's talent useful and fascinating, but she's getting used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech. She's become an expert at getting in, getting paid and getting out, fast.

When Harper and her stepbrother Tolliver, travel to the Ozarks to find a local teenager, missing, believed dead, they discover that someone is willing to go to great lengths to bury a secret.

Before long Tolliver's locked away on trumped-up charges and Harper's fighting for her own life...


Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
23-year-old Harper Connelly can sense dead bodies, and can even see how they died, since she was struck by lightning at the age of 15.

Choosing to use her special talent to both help people, and earn a living, Harper and her step-brother Tolliver drive around the country finding dead bodies. Their latest case – Sarne, where a teenage girl is missing, presumed dead.
Can Harper locate the missing girl? How did she die? Did her boyfriend really commit suicide? And who is out to get Harper?


Even though this is the second time I have read this book, I still really enjoyed it, and I liked how the mystery was kept up right the way ‘til the end of the book.

Harper was an interesting character. At times she was very firm, and stuck up for what she felt was right, but at other times she came across as very fragile, and the sort of person who needed protecting. I felt quite sorry for her and the way she was victimised at times, and it was unfair that people weren’t more appreciative of her special talent.

The storyline in this was pretty good, and the mystery was also a good one. It was difficult to work out the pattern to the many clues, although because this was a re-read I did remember part-way through what was going on. I liked the mystery and suspense though, and thought it was done really well, and the many different parts of the plotline were quite difficult to piece together.
I liked the ending and thought that it was well done. There were a couple of things that weren’t tied up at the end, but I’m planning on reading the rest of the series now to find out those answers!
Overall; a good suspense/mystery.
7.5 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. The Harper Connelly quartet is one of my favourites! I did not rate this book very high either but I rated the quartet a 5 out of 5 by the time I got done with Book 4 :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlaine Harris certainly appears to be prolific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't even know about this book but it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete