Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Every Little Secret (Second Chances #2) by Kate Ashton

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Kate Ashton.
Every Little Secret (Second Chances, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A New Adult contemporary romance - companion novella to Every Little Piece.

Needing to love…

Every day I’m with Chad, I prove my dad wrong, that I can be loved…that I am loveable. So why is our relationship so hard? When we’re together on the dance floor or between the sheets, I pray for a small twinge of lust or something. I remember when his lazy smile sent my toes curling and my lower regions throbbing. But lately, thoughts of Noah come even though I don’t want them to: his valiant efforts to rescue me, his tender, caring side, even though I was being an idiot that night. I just don’t know if I’m ready to shake off one bad relationship to trust in another one.

Wanting to trust…

Her words echo in my head. Let’s be secret friends. Shh, don’t tell anyone. That girl ruined my life. Because of her and what happened I haven’t touched a girl since high school. I haven’t let myself fantasize about a girlfriend. About finding love. Or sex. Shit. Has it been that long since I’ve been laid? Then there’s Carly. The tantalizing goddess I rescued. For the first time I’m feeling things I swore I never would again. Somehow, she’s wormed her way into my heart, but I just don’t know if it’s too late for love and for the two of us.


Every Little Secret by Kate Ashton

My rating: 4.25 of 5 stars


Every Little Secret (Second Chances, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Kate Ashton.)
This is the second book in the ‘Second Chances’ series, but can be read as a standalone novel.
Carly believes that she is unlovable, all thanks to her dad who is still mad that Carly’s mom left him. She’s with Chad, because she knows that he loves her, and proves that her dad is wrong, but Chad just doesn’t light her fire the way he used to.

Noah is hiding a secret that is stopping him from getting on with his life, a secret that even caused him to drop out of college.

When Noah rescues Carly from nearly drowning because she was drunk and decided to go for a late night swim in the ocean, he knows there’s something special about her, and eventually they become secret friends.
Should Carly still be with Chad though? Does she want more than friendship with Noah? And what secrets are they both hiding?


This was a really good NA contemporary romance, and I really enjoyed it.

Both Carly and Noah had issues in this book, and both were hiding their secrets close to their chests. I would have liked for both of them to have stood up for themselves a little more, but it was easy to see why they didn’t once their problems were revealed.

I liked the storyline in this book, and I liked how it took a while for us to really learn the secrets that this pair were hiding. I liked how Carly and Noah both managed to find a way to each other, and both managed to eventually overcome the obstacles between them.
I liked the romance, even though there weren’t many purely romantic scenes, but I was surprised that there weren’t any sex scenes. The book flowed well though, and I love this author’s writing style! The romance was instead the kind of slow-building romance that you know will last forever.

The ending was good and happy, although I would have liked to have seen the couple happy together a bit more maybe.
Overall; a good NA/YA contemporary romance, recommended!
8.5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I'm totally on board for an NA with a slow-build romance rather than insta-love. Great review@
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, a book worth reading. So happy this was a good one for you. I love NA so I am checking it out.

    ReplyDelete