Monday, 25 November 2013

Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles #2) by Kresley Cole


Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In this seductive follow-up to Poison Princess, #1 New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole takes us deeper into the dark world of the Arcana Chronicles.

Shocking Secrets

Evie has fully come into her powers as the Tarot Empress, and Jack was there to see it all. She now knows that the teens who've been reincarnated as the Tarot are in the throes of an epic battle. It's kill or be killed, and the future of mankind hangs in the balance.

Unexpected Allies

With threats lurking around every corner, Evie is forced to trust her newfound alliance. Together they must fight not only other Arcana, but also Bagmen zombies, post-apocalyptic storms, and cannibals.

Gut-Wrenching Treachery

When Evie meets Death, things get even more complicated. Though falling for Jack, she's drawn to the dangerous Endless Knight as well. Somehow the Empress and Death share a history, one that Evie can't remember—but Death can't forget.


Endless Knight by Kresley Cole

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Arcana Chronicles’.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘Poison Princess’.**
Evie has bested the alchemist, but Death still awaits her.
Can Evie and the other Arcana possibly beat Death by banding together? Is Evie ready to give herself to Jackson? And what does Death really want from her?


This was an okay story, but the pace was too slow, and the characters started to annoy me.

Evie was just a bit dumb in this instalment, she seemed incapable of seeing what was right in front of her nose, and talk about clueless as to other people’s feelings! She was also too trusting at times, for some reason believing in the ‘goodness’ of humanity, even when battling people who wanted to kill her. She believed most of what was told to her, even when I was convinced that she was being lied to, and her unwavering belief in an alliance was nothing short of na├»ve. I don’t know what KC is thinking of, but I expected more from an ‘Empress’.

The storyline in this was okay, but the pace killed me. It was just so slow, and I got so sick of all the talking and whining, and agonising. Just get on with it already! I found this book really easy to put down, and managed to read two whole other books whilst reading this because I was so bored at points. It would have probably taken me even longer to finish this if I hadn’t forced myself to keep reading.

I again thought that the idea of an alliance was the height of nativity, because while it sounds lovely and right, it is at the end of the day nothing short of a pipe-dream. These characters were created with only one purpose – to kill each other and complete the game. To believe that an alliance can be formed, and that not everyone needs to die is just a dream, and I really don’t believe that a game of this magnitude could ever be cheated so easily.

There was romance in this one, although I can honestly say that I didn’t like Jackson in this instalment, he seriously irritated me. There was also a sex scene, which was pretty detailed considering that this is supposed to be a young adult book, and I can’t say that I really enjoyed the sex scene or the relationship between Evie and Jackson.

The ending was a giant cliff-hanger, and I wasn’t impressed.
Overall; the pace was too slow, and Evie was too dumb.
6 out of 10.


2 comments: