Sunday, 24 November 2013

Dream Girl (Book 1) by S.J. Lomas

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Scribe Publishing Company and Netgalley.
Dream Girl (Book 1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
For Christine, dreams have never meant much. Until she meets Gabriel. Everyone thinks Christine should stay away from her new coworker at the library—thanks to his bad reputation—but when her dreams grow more vivid and she becomes entangled in a dangerous dream world with Gabriel every night, she can’t stay away. Soon it’s clear there is far more to dreams than Christine ever imagined, and now she’s on the path to making the biggest, and strangest, decision of her life.

Dream Girl by S.J. Lomas

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Dream Girl (Book 1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Scribe Publishing Company and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Christine works at a library, and is supposed to be looking for an apartment as her mother is moving to Mexico.
Gabriel starts work at the library, and they instantly fall for each other.
Gabriel and Christine start meeting in their dreams though, and Christine will soon find out Gabriel’s secret.
What is Gabriel hiding? And why do they meet in their dreams?


This book just annoyed me.

I couldn’t relate to either Gabriel or Christine in this book. Being librarians, I thought I might at least like them, but they were just really nothingness characters, and the only feeling they inspired in me was annoyance. I was also really irritated by Christine’s continued stupidity. I mean, she didn’t even know Gabriel’s last name, and she was going to walks into the dark woods with him at night, and wading into a river? How dumb can you get? I also didn’t buy the fact that these characters were supposed to be only 17-years-old, they came across as much older.

The storyline in this also irritated me. The first thing to annoy me was Gabriel and Christine’s insta-love. I personally do not mind insta-love, as long as I feel it as well. If the flirting, lust, love, spark, passion etc. is done well, and I find myself falling a little bit in love with the characters as well, then I don’t have a problem, but that wasn’t what happened here. Instead we got ‘wow, she’s got nice eyes! I must tell her all my deepest darkest secrets immediately, because I’m in love with her, and can’t stop thinking about her’. I mean what? They’d barely even spoken other than saying ‘hello’, and he started writing her letters about his dreams, and trying to get up the courage to ask her to read them!

There was loads of other stuff that really bugged me about this book, but like I’ve done before with books that annoy me, I’m going to let my status updates speak for themselves:
7% "how freaking weird! he's only ever laid eyes on her once and he's writing stories for her?!"
7% "her cheeks are flushed so a customer asks her if she's on drugs?"
7% "he's lucky he's still got a job."
10% "not got the faintest idea what that story of his is about!"
18% "they have this instant-attraction thing going on, but I'm just not feeling it. there's no spark, no passion, and I don't feel anything for either of the characters."
18% "she doesn't even know this bloke's last name, and she's letting him take her into the woods, and now they're wading out into the middle of the river for no good reason whatsoever? is she freaking nuts?!"
19% "wading in a river is the best night of his life?"
25% "she's only 17? she comes across older."
39% "yikes. another 61% to go!"
44% ""Gabriel was asking me to love him." really?"
49% "now she's telling someone else about this mess? they're going to think she's nuts."
55% "top secret government agency?"
61% "oops! sorry! not on duty tonight! call me at a more convenient time please!"
75% ""Traitorous Agent ....... deployed a mind trap on you." could that sound any more bad sci-fi movie?"
78% "homeland security?"
98% Thank goodness that’s over with!

The ending of this was also a bit weird, and I’m not sure if the author is planning on writing more books and turning this into a series, because the ending was left really open. If there are more books, I won’t be reading them though.
Overall; irritating. Just irritating.
4 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I love when you do the reading progress breakdown!

    ReplyDelete