Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Waterfell (The Aquarathi #1) by Amalie Howard

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin teen and Netgalley.
Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE QUEEN

Nerissa Marin hides among teens in her human form, waiting for the day she can claim her birthright—the undersea kingdom stolen from her the day her father was murdered. Blending in is her best weapon—until her father's betrayer confronts Nerissa and challenges her to a battle to the death on Nerissa's upcoming birthday—the day she comes of age.

Amid danger and the heartbreak of her missing mother, falling for a human boy is the last thing Nerissa should do. But Lo Seavon breaches her defenses and somehow becomes the only person she can count on to help her desperate search for her mother, a prisoner of Nerissa's mortal enemy. Is Lo the linchpin that might win Nerissa back her crown? Or will this mortal boy become the weakness that destroys her?


Waterfell by Amalie Howard

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin teen and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Nerissa looks like a normal human girl, but is actually a sea-creature taking on the form of a human.
Nerissa is also royalty within her kind, and with her father murdered, she’s the rightful heir to the throne, but things aren’t that simple. While Nerissa is living among humans and going to school, someone else has taken her throne, and it’s up to Nerissa to get it back – if she wants to that is.

Nerissa isn’t sure that she wants to be queen, and she’s not sure she wants to go back to her home of Waterfell, to the place where her father was killed. Her subjects are relying on her though.

When Nerissa meets Lo, a new boy at school, she’s attracted to him even though she doesn’t want to be, and slowly she begins to fall for him.
Can Nerissa reclaim her throne? Can she defeat the false queen who has taken her place? And can she have Lo when she might have to leave him behind?


This was an okay paranormal romance, but I liked the romance a lot more than I liked the rest of the storyline.

Nerissa was an okay character, and I kind of admired her for her decision not to go back to Waterfell after her father’s death. If she didn’t want the responsibility of being queen, and didn’t want to go back to the place that reminded her of her murdered father, then fair enough. I did think that she really showed her true colours as we got further into the book though, and showed her royal breeding.

The storyline in this was okay, but I did get a bit bored in places. It reminded me a little of ‘Of Poseidon’ what with the sea creatures living on land, and sharks etc. but it did have its differences too. There was some action, but I just didn’t feel all that interested unfortunately.

While the storyline wasn’t captivating at the beginning, what I did like about this book was the romance. The way that Nerissa and Lo were together was just so sweet! I loved the way they flirted and the way they grew to love each other, and the moments where they were together were just lovely. I really loved the sweet romance, and it totally kept me reading past the boring bits.

The ending to this one was okay, but I wish I hadn’t read the last two pages, because something that happened between Lo and Nerissa ruined the happily ever after ending. I know that this is a series, and I get that the author wants us to want the second book, but with that romance I want it anyway!
Overall; an okay fishy tale, with a sweet and lovely romance.
7.5 out of 10


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book!Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading this right now and it's just okay so far.

    ReplyDelete