Monday, 28 October 2013

Trancehack (Magic Born #1) by Sonya Clark

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Carina and Netgalley.
Trancehack (Magic Born, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
It’s 2065. Those born with magic abilities live in government-run zones, without rights or freedoms. Fear of magic created this segregated world and fear keeps it intact.

A high-profile murder brings Detective Nathan Perez to Magic Born Zone 13. He’s had little experience with the Magic Born and isn’t sure what to expect during his first encounter with a witch, but he never thought he’d be so drawn to her.

Trancehacker Calla Vesper uses magic to break into computers and aid the Magic Born underground. She has no interest in helping a cop, even if he is smoking-hot, but money’s tight and Nate offers a tidy amount for help navigating the Zone. Calla’s determined to keep it all business, but sparks start flying before the investigation even gets started.

When Calla’s trancehacking and Nathan’s investigation uncover a conspiracy, Calla becomes a target. Nate can protect her by keeping her role a secret—but then who will protect Nate?


Trancehack by Sonya Clark

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Trancehack (Magic Born, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Carina and Netgalley.)
Nate is a detective investigating the death of a prominent figure, when a DNA test on some evidence comes back as belonging to an unregistered ‘magic-born’, which by the law should be impossible.
Nate asks Calla – a witch, for some help tracking down information based on a list of magical ingredients found in the victim’s pocket.
When people who knew about the odd DNA test start turning up dead, Calla is worried that Nate might be next, which scares her as they are falling in love with each other.
Who is the murderer? Why did they kill? And what other secrets are they hiding?


This was an okay story, but it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting.

Calla was an okay character. She stuck up for her beliefs and her rights, and wasn’t stupid enough to break the law for a man. She did her best to look out for herself, and wasn’t afraid to speak out when the time was right.

The storyline in this was okay, but at times this was much more a crime novel than a fantasy or sci-fi story. I found the beginning of the book very slow and dull, and I even wondered whether I would make it all the way through without falling asleep. Thankfully the story got more interesting at the 20% mark, but I still found myself losing interest at later points in the book too.

There was romance in this book, and some very adult sex scenes, which was probably the best part of the book for me. This book isn’t listed as ‘adult’ on Goodreads though, and I think it should be, as this is definitely not intended for younger readers.

The ending was okay, and there were a couple of twists that I didn’t see coming. This wasn’t a favourite for me though, and I don’t think I’ll continue with the series. I thing this would be more suited to people who like crime/fantasy, rather than people who just like fantasy and paranormal stories.
Overall; an okay crime/fantasy novel, but wasn’t what I was expecting.
6.5 out of 10.


1 comment: