Thursday, 31 October 2013

The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #2) by Julie Kagawa

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and Netgalley.
The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice.

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again.

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.





The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Call of the Forgotten’ series.
Ethan Chase is still in the dog house with his parents after his last trip to the Nevernever, but it doesn’t look like he’s going to be home for long.
This time his nephew Kierran, who his parents don’t even know exists, has gone missing, and Meghan asks for Ethan’s help in finding him.
Kierran is on a mission though – to stop his exiled girlfriend Annwyn from fading, no matter what the cost.
Can Ethan find Kierran? And just how far will Kierran go to save Annwyn?


This was an enjoyable story, but I did find it quite slow in places.

Ethan was once again extremely mature for his age in this book. He knew what he had to do, and invariably tried to do it, whilst always taking into consideration the cost of his actions, and whether the price was too high.

The storyline in this was okay, and I enjoyed it mostly, but I found the pace to be really slow in places. At times it felt like I had been reading, and reading, and reading and very little had actually happened, and the end still seemed very far away. I think this is just the author’s style of writing, as I found this to be the case with her other books, but it does still irritate me at times.

There were other things that irked me about this book unfortunately as well. Ethan offering something that he has no idea about, to a desperate man, in an effort to deter him from taking an option that has a sure fire result – especially when the chances of it working were pretty lame. I thought this was just poor, and a pretty rubbish thing for Ethan to do.
Then we had a scene where Ethan and Kenzie both had to barter secrets for information, and boy were their secrets pathetic. If I had been the faerie doing the bartering there is no way I’d have given them any information for the lousy, barely-even-a-freaking-secret information that they offered him in return.
It also really annoys me how they are all quite happy to go around eating faerie food in this book. A lot of books about Faeries follow the old rule of ‘don’t eat faerie food, because you’ll never be able to eat normal food again’, but in this they were quite happily eating all sorts of weird stuff, which just annoyed me a bit.
There were also other things that irked me, but I can’t really go into them without dropping spoilers, so I’ll leave it there, but there were just little things that seemed poorly thought out, or just silly, which spoiled my enjoyment of the story.

The ending to this was a giant cliff-hanger. It was an absolute whopper of a cliff-hanger in fact, to the point where I’d say that it might be best to wait and read this book when the third one has already been released, because this ending was just ridiculous.
Overall; an okay second instalment, but it had its issues for me.
6.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I am still very interested in reading this series.

    ReplyDelete