Sunday, 27 October 2013

Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands #1) by Sarah Fine


Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
“My plan: Get into the city. Get Nadia. Find a way out. Simple.”

A week ago, seventeen-year-old Lela Santos’s best friend, Nadia, killed herself. Today, thanks to a farewell ritual gone awry, Lela is standing in paradise, looking upon a vast gated city in the distance—hell. No one willingly walks through the Suicide Gates, into a place smothered in darkness and infested with depraved creatures. But Lela isn’t just anyone—she’s determined to save her best friend’s soul, even if it means sacrificing her eternal afterlife.

As Lela struggles to find Nadia, she’s captured by the Guards, enormous, not-quite-human creatures that patrol the dark city’s endless streets. Their all-too-human leader, Malachi, is unlike them in every way except one: his deadly efficiency. When he meets Lela, Malachi forms his own plan: get her out of the city, even if it means she must leave Nadia behind. Malachi knows something Lela doesn’t—the dark city isn’t the worst place Lela could end up, and he will stop at nothing to keep her from that fate.


Sanctum by Sarah Fine

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)(Source: Purchased on kindle from Amazon.co.uk)
17-year-old Lela is devastated when her best friend Nadia is found dead having taken a drug overdose. When Lela then unexpectedly dies, instead of going where she is supposed to go, she foes through the suicide gates, determined to find and rescue Nadia.

Once through the suicide gates, Lela befriends Malachi, and together they try to find Nadia.
Can Lela find Nadia? Can she help her? And is Malachi more than just a friend?


This was an okay story, but unfortunately I just felt bored for most of it.

Lela was an okay character, but I didn’t really like her very much. She had grand plans, and pretty much acted as if she was invincible which was anything but the truth. She put on a front around people to make her seem tough, and it was as if she believed this herself as well which made her seem conceited.

The storyline in this was okay, but I found it all a little unbelievable. I thought Lela was more stupid than brave, choosing to walk into the suicide gates to try and rescue her friend. She didn’t even consider that this might be a bad idea, that the other things inside there might be dangerous, and that she might just be getting herself into a whole heap of trouble. For me, her bravery and selflessness was nothing more than bravado and arrogance, and she seemed to have little thought for her own safety. I’m pretty sure that Nadia would not have wanted Lela to pointlessly put herself in danger to save her.
I’m also not entirely sure what Lela thought she was going to do once she found Nadia anyway, it wasn’t like you could just turn around and walk back out of the suicide gates and go wherever you pleased!

The romance was okay, but again I didn’t love it, and the ending was almost too good to be true. Things were all neat and tied up with a bow, and I just didn’t buy it.

All the way through this book I just felt bored. I don’t know why, there was stuff going on, Lela kept being reckless, and there was action, but I just didn’t feel it. Lela annoyed me, the story just bored me, and I had difficulty keeping reading. I wasn’t all that bothered about what would happen next, and wasn’t really invested in the story at all. Maybe this was just a case of wrong person, wrong book, but I wasn’t a big fan of this one at all.
Overall; a okay story, but I found it boring.
6 out of 10.


1 comment: