Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked #1) by Elisa Ludwig


Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Willa’s secret plan seems all too simple: take from the rich kids at Valley Prep and give to the poor ones.

Yet Willa’s turn as Robin Hood at her ultra-exclusive high school is anything but. Bilking her “friends”-known to everyone as the Glitterati-without them suspecting a thing, is far from easy. Learning how to pick pockets and break into lockers is as difficult as she’d thought it’d be. Delivering care packages to the scholarship girls, who are ostracized just for being from the “wrong” side of town, is way more fun than she’d expected.

The complication Willa didn’t expect, though, is Aidan Murphy, Valley Prep’s most notorious (and gorgeous) ace-degenerate. His mere existence is distracting Willa from what matters most to her-evening the social playing field between the have and have-nots. There’s no time for crushes and flirting with boys, especially conceited and obnoxious trust-funders like Aidan.

But when the cops start investigating the string of burglaries at Valley Prep and the Glitterati begin to seek revenge, could he wind up being the person that Willa trusts most?


Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
15-year-old Willa can’t believe her luck when her mother sells some paintings and makes a small fortune – enough to buy them a fancy house, and enrol Willa into an expensive private school.
When Willa sees how the ‘glitterati’ (mean girls) treat the scholarship students, and post nasty things about them on a blog, Willa decides to turn to a life of crime – stealing from the glitterati and giving to the poor scholarship students.
How long can Willa keep this up for? How long before she gets caught? And what will happen when she does?


This was just boring for me, and I didn’t agree with what Willa was doing.

Willa thought that she had the best intentions, but for me she was just immature and stupid. I couldn’t quite believe that she thought stealing was okay as she was taking from the rich and giving to the poor, and I couldn’t believe how her thefts kept getting progressively of greater value and greater risk, and I just didn’t get how she could live with herself after stealing all these people’s things!

The storyline in this was a rendition of Robin Hood basically, and also had elements that reminded me of ‘mean girls’ and ‘gossip girl’. I disliked the way that Willa stole stuff and didn’t even think that it was wrong, and I disliked the way that she continued to try to steal bigger and more expensive stuff. I also disliked the way she made excuses for doing what she was doing – two wrongs don’t make a right, and while she thought that she was doing the right thing, she was actually lowering herself to a level below these mean girls by turning herself into a common criminal.
I found this book quite boring really, and the ending didn’t really help matters either, as we were left with a freaking cliff-hanger. I really don’t want to read the next book in this series, even though I want to know how things turn out. This book really wasn’t for me, and sets a bit of a bad example for younger readers.
Overall; boring, morally suspect, and has a cliff-hanger ending.
4.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of getting this one, happy I didn't.

    ReplyDelete