Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Judgment (Deck of Lies #4) by Jade Varden


Judgment (Deck of Lies #4)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Cashing Out

Do I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

How can I, when the truth will destroy us all? Now that I’ve started telling lies, I can’t stop. Not until all this is over, and I’m free of the family that never felt like mine. Maybe it’s wrong. Maybe I’m a bad person.

But it’s definitely the only way I’m ever going to escape them. I have to take the opportunity, no matter how terrible it is...don’t I?


Judgment by Jade Varden

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Judgment (Deck of Lies #4)(Source: Purchased on kindle from Amazon.co.uk)
This is book 4 in the ‘Deck of Lies’ series.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for books 1, 2 &3.**
Rain is now in jail for killing Laurel Riordan, even though her entire family know that it was actually her supposed sister Carsyn who really did it.
Will Rain be convicted though? Can Asher really talk his way out of this? Or does he have his own ideas about what should happen to Rain?


This was a great end to the series, but there were just a few little niggly things at the end that spoiled it a bit.

Rain was once again brilliant in this story. She played the hand she was given and won, again! Even against the biggest player of them all – her fake father Asher. I really wish that she hadn’t had to spend 6 months in jail to do it though, no matter what, 6 months in jail is going to affect her and her job prospects for the rest of her life, especially considering that she was accused of murder!

I liked the storyline in this book, though again I really wish that Rain hadn’t had to go to jail! I thought that the court room scenes were pretty good, and there was plenty of drama, and I also liked the way that Rain eventually managed to turn the tables on Asher himself. I did feel that once the court room drama was over though, the book lost its way and its pace, and the ending was a little boring.
There was a bit of romance, although this was very much a side-line, and I wasn’t overly impressed with how the romance angle played out, as the couple in question went from not speaking to playing happy families extremely quickly, and I didn’t quite believe it.

I thought that the overall storyline was pretty twisted in this series. It seemed that everybody was having affairs with everyone else, to the point where one person was both someone else’s half-brother, and step-son. It also seemed like everybody had their own agenda, and everyone was pretty happy to go around backstabbing people as well.

The ending was okay, but I was disappointed over certain things. It’s really hard to explain without dropping spoilers, but I just felt that certain parties weren’t really brought to justice, and certain cases were not truly closed. I was also surprised at where Sawyer and Laurel’s daughter ended up, and didn’t quite get why there weren’t disputes over this.
Overall I really enjoyed this book, and the whole series in fact, but there were just these little niggly things that stopped this for being truly spectacular.
7.5 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. Great review :)
    I loved this series, it has some great elements and I share your thoughts on Rain and her "love" interest.
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete