Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Here (On the Otherside #1) by Denise Grover Swank

Here (On the Otherside, #1)
Sixteen year old Julia Phillips buries herself in guilt after killing her best friend Monica in a car accident. Julia awoke in the hospital with a broken leg, a new talent for drawing and false memories of the accident, in which she dies and Monica lives. The doctors attribute this to her head injury, but no one can explain how a bracelet engraved with her name ended up at the scene of the accident. A bracelet no one has ever seen before.

Classmate Evan Whittaker paid Julia no attention before the accident, let alone after. Now suddenly he's volunteering to tutor her and offering to drive her home. She can't ignore that his new obsession started after his two-day disappearance last week and that he wears a pendant she's been drawing for months. When the police show up one night looking for Evan, he begs Julia to run with him, convincing her that Monica is still alive. Julia agrees to go, never guessing where he's really from.


Here by Denise Grover Swank

My rating: 4.25 of 5 stars


Here (On the Otherside, #1)(Source: I won a digital copy of this book. Thanks to author Denise Grover Swank.)
16-year-old Julia is suffering from depression, and her life is falling to pieces following the death of her best friend Monica.

When popular boy Evan volunteers to tutor her to stop her having to transfer to the ‘alternative’ school, she agrees, but never expects for him to seem to develop feelings for her.

Evan seems to have had a bit of a personality transplant over the previous 2 weeks though, and when police show up looking for him, Julia doesn’t know what is going on. She knows that she trusts him enough to help him though.
What is going on with Evan? Why does Julia keep remembering things that never happened? And where does he want her to go with him?


I thought this was a great book, I loved the tension and suspense, and I even agonised over the love triangle!

I liked Julia. I totally got why she was so upset over her best friend’s death, especially considering her part in it, and I could easily see why she’d been having such trouble concentrating in school, and finding the will to go on.

I liked the storyline in this. It was one of those books where there was so much mystery over what was going on, but just enough breadcrumbs to keep you reading, desperate to find out what was really going on. I thought the tension in this story was built up really well, and it definitely sucked me in.
There were a couple of little niggles in the plot at points, things that seemed a little unlikely, but these didn’t really interrupt my enjoyment of the story.

I thought that the romance in this was really good. I know some people might have considered it a bit insta-love-esque, but the way the story then built up the background, it was obvious that it wasn’t. I even agonised over the love-triangle, as much as I hate to admit it! I saw it coming, but I also could not see how she could possibly pick between the two boys – feeling almost obligated to one, whilst knowing that she loved the other – just heart-breaking!

There was a big show-down at the end, but this obviously wasn’t the end of the story, so we got a bit of a ‘to-be-continued’ rather than an outright cliff hanger. This obviously wasn’t the end of Julia’s story though, and I’d like to read the next one to find out what happens next!
Overall; a great sci-fi/paranormal romance.
8.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Ooh, this does sound good. It's a good sign when you can actually like a love triangle.

    ReplyDelete