Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Water by Natasha Hardy

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited, Carina, and Netgalley.
WaterBlurb (From Goodreads):
Surrender to the power of the water... Alex knows she is different. She’s plagued by nightmares that feel shockingly real and an intense restlessness she cannot explain. As the long hot summer holidays stretch before her, Alex seeks out adventure in the rugged mountains of Injasuthi. But during a camping trip to the mystic jade pools, Alex meets Merrick, a boy who tells her the shocking truth about herself, and Alex's nightmare is about to become reality. Because Alex is no ordinary teenager...she is a half-mermaid and her adventures are only just beginning.

Water by Natasha Hardy

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


Water(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited, Carina, and Netgalley.)
Teen Alexandra is sent away with her brother to spend the summer with a family friend. Whilst there Alex hears stories about ‘fish-people’, and how her friend Josh’s tribe was blamed for the disappearance of a woman called Talita.

Alexandra then meets Merrick who turns out to be one of these ‘fish people’. He takes her swimming to the magical underwater world where he lives and introduces her to people, then she finds out that she is half-fish herself.
Why is Alexandra special? And why do they call her their ‘Inspiration’?



This book was dull, it was complicated, and it totally bored the pants off me.

Alexandra as a character was pretty na├»ve and dull. I couldn’t connect with her at all, and she was just a bit weird. If I had nearly drowned previously, had recurring nightmares about drowning, and blacked out in deep water, there is no way in hell that I would be going swimming! Especially not in a random pool somewhere, with a ‘fish-person’ that I have been told eats humans, in water so deep that I have to rely on said ‘fish-person’ to give me air to breathe.
I mean really? How stupid can you get?
Relying on someone else for oxygen is bad enough; you would have to have an insane amount of trust in that person to do that, but to rely on someone you have never met before, who you mean nothing to, who isn’t even the same species as you? This does not sound like the best of ideas.

The rest of the storyline in this book drove me nuts too. We started off with Alexandra’s friend Josh telling her loads of stuff about these ‘fish people’ who are supposed to not even exist. For a species that doesn’t even exist, Josh knows a hell of a lot about them, so much so that we get an info-dump the size of the titanic, which is then repeated again and again.

I could probably rant on forever about this book, but I really want to just forget that I ever read it.
Anyway, to sum it up;
- There was a prophecy
- Alex was obviously the only hope for the entire race of these ‘fish-people’
- She developed new gifts/super-powers at a ridiculous rate
- She continued to swim lots underwater even though she was afraid
- She helped heal the sick
And on, and on, and on, and on.

The ending then further annoyed me when it turned out to not really be an ending at all! As if this book could possibly have gotten any worse!

In summary – this book was utter poo. It was dull, it had complicated prophecy stuff going on, it was unbelievable, the main character was frustrating, and we didn’t even get a proper ending. I am beyond annoyed with this book, and if there is a sequel I will burn it before I read it.
Overall; just don’t bother.
1.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, one star. That's bad. I hate boring books.

    ReplyDelete