Thursday, 26 September 2013

Stay With Me (With Me #1) by Elyssa Patrick

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Elyssa Patrick and Netgalley.
Stay With Me (With Me #1)
Blurb (From Goodreads):
New Adult/Contemporary Romance - recommended for ages 17 and up.

With one look, I’m his . . .

With one touch, he’s mine . . .

With one kiss, it changes everything between us . . .

I’ve been famous since I can remember. Singing, acting, dancing—I’ve done it all. The tabloids cover my every move, but I don’t want that anymore. I want to be normal, whatever that is.

When I leave Hollywood for college in Vermont, I’m on my own for the first time in my life. This is my chance to figure out who I am and what I want in life.

But it’s a lot harder than I expected. I can’t escape my image. Classes are difficult, and I’m struggling. And then there’s Caleb Fox.

Sexy, intriguing Caleb Fox.

Caleb is the one man who doesn’t want to use me. He breaks down my walls. He challenges me. He wants me. And I just don’t know if I can give him the same—or if he’ll stick around when he finds out my shameful secret that the tabloids haven’t managed to uncover.

Dating him is risky enough, but loving him could break me.


Stay With Me by Elyssa Patrick

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Stay With Me (With Me #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Elyssa Patrick and Netgalley.)
18-year-old Hailey is a famous singer/actress, but she’s taking a break for a while and going to college, where she meets Caleb.
Slowly they fall in love, but will Caleb still love her when he finds out about all the things she has done in the past? Can he look past her mistakes and still love her for who she really is inside? And will he stay with her?


This was an okay NA contemporary romance, but I just couldn’t get into it.

I don’t know what it was about this one, but right from the beginning it just wasn’t doing it for me, I didn’t connect with the characters, I didn’t really care what happened to them, and certain things just annoyed me.

The first thing to annoy me was a scene where Hailey was carrying a drink and some shopping bags, she bumps into Caleb, spilling her drink all down herself, and he offers to take her to his place, which is right around the corner, so that she can clean up, and get a fresh shirt. I don’t know if this sounds familiar to anyone else, but this is almost exactly the same as a scene from Notting Hill, where oh yes, Julia Roberts is a famous movie star, and bumps into Hugh Grant in the street.
I mean, yes, I might have seen this film more than once, but it just annoyed me how similar the two scenes were! I was just waiting for a weird roommate to come in and start eating mayonnaise thinking it was yogurt.

Anyway, this annoyed me, so I put the book down and read something else, because that way I can sometimes get past the thing that was annoying me, and enjoy the rest of the book. Unfortunately though, the rest of the book wasn’t much of an improvement.
I got annoyed at the way Hailey moaned about not wanting to be famous, and not knowing what she really wanted to do with her life. Well join the club love, you are not the only one to not know what they want to do with their life, but you are in the coveted position of having millions of dollars in the bank to give you the backing to do whatever the hell you want. Please stop moaning about how you’re a poor, misunderstood pop star, there are plenty of people who’d be happy to take your place.

This was an erotic story, and there were a few fairly explicit sex scenes in the second half of the book. These were okay, and there did seem to be some love between Hailey and Caleb, but I just didn’t feel it. For me the whole thing just dragged, I didn’t like the dialogue, I couldn’t connect with the characters, and I didn’t really appreciate the use of fruit to describe the characters sexual organs, I will never look at a plum quite the same way again.

The ending was okay, and was fairly happy, even though Hailey still hadn’t decided what to do with her life, but again I just couldn’t really connect with the characters and so didn’t really care all that much.
Overall; it might just be wrong person, wrong book, but this just didn’t do it for me.
4.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Nooo, I was so excited for this one. I hope I connect with it more.

    ReplyDelete