Friday, 13 September 2013

Kid's Corner - Carrot by Vanita Oelschlager, and Kristin Blackwood

Sponsored post: I was able to view a digital gallery of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to VanitaBooks LLC and Netgalley.
Carrot
Blurb (From Goodreads):
An ordinary house cat, Carrot envies the life of the pampered yacht cat Buffy and dreams of all she could do with such luxury, but comes to realize that her life is actually richer in many ways.
 

Carrot by Vanita Oelschlager

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Carrot(Source: I was able to view a digital gallery of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to VanitaBooks LLC and Netgalley.)
This is a story about a cat, who realises that maybe things are not quite so green on the other side of the fence, and begins to appreciate what she already has.

This story was told in rhyme with a nice flow, but I did wonder at some of the words used. I’m not sure what age this story is aimed at, but there were several words or phrases used that I questioned whether a young child would understand. Words and phrases like ‘underfoot’, ‘vain’, ‘Broadway’, ‘down-to-earth’, ‘yacht’, ‘chiffon’, ‘born of a king’, ‘beauty rest’, ‘caviar’, ‘cotillion’, ‘socialites’, and more.

I can only assume that this book is aimed at older children, and while my 3-year-old liked hearing the story read to him, the words weren’t the kind that I could get him to join in with, and there weren’t even things on the page that he could count, or pick out, which made the story less interactive.
Overall; an okay story, but probably aimed at older children with a higher reading age.
6.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment