Monday, 16 September 2013

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas


Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
CROWNED BY EVIL.
BOUND BY DUTY.
DIVIDED BY LOVE.
THE ASSASSIN IS BACK – AND SHE’S BURNING WITH RAGE IN THE BLAZING-HOT SEQUEL TO THRONE OF GLASS
Celaena Sardothien, royal assassin, is the King of Adarlan's deadliest weapon. She must win her freedom through his enemies’ blood – but she cannot bear to kill for the crown. And every death Celaena fakes, every lie she tells, puts those she loves at risk.
Torn between her two protectors – a captain and a prince – and battling a dark force far greater than the king, Celaena must decide what she will fight for: her liberty, her heart, or the fate of a kingdom . . .


Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Throne of Glass’ series, and picks up a couple of months after the end of book 1 ‘Throne of Glass’.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘Throne of Glass’.**
18-year-old Celaena is now working as the King’s assassin – finding people, killing them, and returning their heads to the king as proof of her work. At least that’s what everyone believes.

Instead Celaena has been faking people’s deaths, and returning heads from the sick houses to the king. If he finds out though, he will kill her.

Now Celaena has been asked to kill someone she knows, who is suspected of being a traitor to the crown.
Can Celaena keep faking people’s deaths? Should she help Princess Nehemia instead? And what more can she learn about the Wyrd marks?


This was an okay read, but I expected more.

Celaena was once again a strong character, but I thought that she maybe let things get on top of her a bit too much in this book. I loved the parts where she went bad-ass, and totally wiped the floor with certain people, but the bits in-between were just a bit disappointing. I wanted her to stay bad-ass, but that just didn’t happen, and she wasn’t quite as in control in this book as she was in the first.

The storyline was okay, there were some creepy moments, and some things that I didn’t see coming, but I wanted more excitement. There was an event just over half-way through that I really liked, but most of the story just felt a little slow, and I found that it took me a long time to get through it because it just didn’t make me want to keep reading.

The romance in this one was at a minimum really, although there was a big development in the love triangle. There wasn’t the sort of forbidden romance and flirting going on that I remembered from the first book unfortunately.

The ending was okay, and there was quite a big revelation at the end that I wasn’t expecting. I had gotten a bit bored by this point though, so I didn’t feel like the revelation really had much of an impact for me. At the moment I’m really not sure whether I even want to read the next book in the series, which is such a shame because I loved the first book.
Overall; a disappointing second instalment.
6.5 out of 10.


4 comments:

  1. Oh what a shame you were disappointed, I personally liked this better then Throne of Glass. But great review none the less, thanks for your honesty. Maybe you'll have better luck with book three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't like it. I'm waiting for it to come in at the library. I'm still excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually kind of glad to see this book was disappointing. I didn't enjoy Throne of Glass very much and I'm tired of seeing reviewers fangirl over Crown of Midnight. I'm not planning to read it so it's nice to now I'm not missing out on much. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sucks it wasn't amazing but I still want to read this series.

    ReplyDelete