Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Whispering Hills (Whispering Hills #1) by Taryn Browning


Whispering Hills (Whispering Hills, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Life and death, love and hate, friends and enemies...

For as long as she can remember, 17-year-old Alexis Forbes can hear the thoughts of others. Most recently, she is disturbed by the dark, unfamiliar voice of a frightening killer: callous, cunning, charismatic…and dead.

She hears his every sinister thought. But she can’t tell anyone. No one would believe her. Alexis is suddenly being haunted by a terrifying past she doesn’t remember, and a ghost with a serious score to settle. Even Chance, the gorgeous new guy she’s falling for, has his own ghostly secret. He’s definitely not like any guy she’s ever met. Alexis soon discovers she has a connection to the dead and it runs much deeper than she could ever imagine. And if the sociopathic entity has his way, she’ll finally be sentenced to the fate she escaped thirteen years ago.


Whispering Hills by Taryn Browning

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


Whispering Hills (Whispering Hills, #1)(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)
17-year-old Alexis can hear other people’s thoughts, but only when they are making a decision to do something. When she hears someone thinking ‘I’m going to dump her dead body in the lake’, she knows that she is hearing the thoughts of a murderer.

The new boy at school Chance seems to be showing an interest in her though, and she arranges to go with him to the autumn dance, even though she is worried over who is about to be killed.
What is Chance hiding though? Who is about to be murdered and who is the murderer? And are they coming for Alexis next?


This book was okay. I liked it up to a point, but I found myself getting a bit bored towards the end.

Alexis was an okay character, although she seemed to take a lot of things in her stride that would maybe have not been believed by anyone else. She just accepted that people could be witches or ghosts without really wondering if it was possible, and I’m not sure whether this was just because she could hear people’s thoughts, or whether she was just a bit too believing.
I did like Chance, although I guessed his secret a lot quicker than Alexis did. I didn’t quite get why he believed the things he did though, and why he was so set on protecting Alexis.

The storyline in this book was okay, but as it went along I started to notice plot holes, which started to annoy me. I also found myself getting a bit bored with this one towards the end. While the beginning was quite good, by the 70% mark I wasn’t even sure I wanted to keep reading.
There were some surprises in this book, although the main one – Chance’s secret, I guessed a lot earlier than Alexis did, and I wondered why Alexis didn’t catch on a lot earlier too. He dropped plenty of hints, but they just went right over her head.

There were some parts of this book that annoyed me a bit. Alexis at one point complains that Chance doesn’t open the car door for her, which I really didn’t understand. It wasn’t like she was incapable of opening the door herself, and what girl in this day and age wants to sit around waiting for someone to open the car door for her? Has she got nothing better to do? I also didn’t see why she felt the need to lie to her parents about a certain event as well. For me this was just a bit short-sighted, and could have potentially made the situation a lot worse.

Another thing that really annoyed me about this book, is that the ‘ghosts’ in this book, had previously lived in Whispering hills, and yet they were walking around town as if nothing had happened. If the town was really as small and gossipy as Alexis claimed, and it certainly seemed that way considering that her mother had the name of every family in the town written down in her planner, wouldn’t someone have twigged that certain people who had died 13 years ago were walking around town looking no different than they did when they died? I mean, surely there would be at least one person who would notice this!
I also wasn’t 100% happy with the sexual relations that one character had with a ghost. I mean sex with a ghost? That’s a bit weird for me.

The ending of this one was okay, but it was obvious that there would be more books to follow this one, as things weren’t tied up completely at the end. I’m not sure that I really want to read any more books in this series though, as I found the second half of this book a bit flawed and boring.
Overall; an okay YA paranormal ghost story, but watch out for the plot holes.
4.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Well that's too bad. I always wanted to read this one but now I am not so sure.

    ReplyDelete