Friday, 2 August 2013

Twisted by Marjorie Brody

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bell Bridge Books and Netgalley.
Twisted
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Sarah Hausman must hide a secret-even from herself. If she acknowledges the truth, it will destroy everyone she loves.
Timid fourteen-year-old Sarah wants her controlling mother to stop prying into what happened the night of the freshman dance. Confess to the police? No way. Confide in her mother? Get real. The woman is too busy, too proud, and too jealous of Sarah to really care if her life disintegrates. Besides, her mother will say Sarah is totally to blame for what the boys did-which Sarah believes is true. So she doubly needs to shield the truth. Not just from Momma. But from everyone. Including herself.
Beautiful, confident, eighteen-year-old Judith Murielle lives the ideal life. She has college plans, respect from family and friends, and a fiance she adores. But as a mysterious connection pulls her toward Sarah, Judith's perfect world unravels. Acting as Sarah's sole confidante, Judith gains the power to expose her secret. Will the truth be worth the sacrifice? Or will Sarah stop at nothing to keep Judith quiet?
Marjorie Brody, an award-winning short story author and Pushcart Prize Nominee, crafts a riveting debut novel of psychological suspense with a shocking twist. A former psychotherapist, she now writes fulltime. Visit her at www.marjoriespages.com



Twisted by Marjorie Brody

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Twisted(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bell Bridge Books and Netgalley.)
14-year-old Sarah can’t believe what’s happening to her when she is lured behind the school gym during the spring formal and gang-raped by four boys.
Hiding her dress in the trash, and hiding her bruises from her parents, Sarah tries to pretend that the rape never happened, but when the boy who lured her outside confesses to the police, and a doctor’s exam reveals that Sarah is pregnant she can’t hide from what happened any longer.
Is there really any justice for Sarah though? Will her parents support her in her decisions over the baby and pressing charges? And what other truths is Sarah hiding?


Well, this book was really different, and I totally didn’t guess what was really going on!

Sarah came across as quite a quiet, Christian girl at the beginning of this book. She believed what her parents had taught her about no sex before marriage, and was even hesitant to allow a boy to kiss her. What happened to her was truly horrific, and I’m not sure how anybody could cope with something so awful.
I totally got why she felt so victimised, and didn’t know what to do, and I also understood why she felt she couldn’t confide in anybody.

The storyline in this book was very interesting because of the two major twists at the end. There was basically no warning about these twists, and I have to say that when they happened I was quite surprised. I have to say that the whole plot-line of rape was pretty horrifying though, and I can’t imagine how awful it must really be to go through something like what Sarah went through – both because of the actual ordeal, and then being unable to talk to anyone about what happened to her.

While the twists were good, the majority of this book felt a little slow to me. There was so much in there that I felt didn’t really add to the story, and I felt like I was constantly waiting for something to happen, and constantly waiting for answers, which was a shame.
I did like this book overall, but the slow pace/constant waiting for something to actually happen made this only okay for me. Other than the rape scene at the beginning, and the weird twists at the end, this was a bog standard ‘teenage girl gets pregnant and doesn’t know what to do’ story. The ending really was quite different though.
Overall; teen pregnancy, with a twist.
6.75 out of 10.


 

5 comments:

  1. The synopsis sounds intense, I'm sorry to hear that book was slow paced though. For me to enjoy a book I need a lot of action-I don't mind a book starting out slow as long as it picks up its pace.
    Also I read the twist that you mentioned in your GR review(could NOT resist clicking on that 'view sopiler' button)-Damn that IS twisted!
    Great review,Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I seriously didn't guess that twist! and ick! what a twist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds like a book that takes on some important topics, I can't think if I have ever read a YA book that involves rape certainly not gang rape. I am curious but also hesitant because of the twist, it seems like it was very disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read anything quite like this either. pretty weird.

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh, that's really twisted (couldn't resist but read the spoilers on GR)!! No wonder her mom was jealous of her. Great review, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete