Monday, 5 August 2013

The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer #1) by Jenny Han


The Summer I Turned Pretty
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Belly’s never been the kind of girl that things happen to. Year after year, she’s spent her summers at the beach house with Conrad and Jeremiah. The boys never noticed Belly noticing them. And every summer she hoped it would be different. This time, it was. But the summer Belly turned pretty was the summer that changed everything. For better, and for worse.

 

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


The Summer I Turned Pretty(Source: Purchased on kindle from Amazon.co.uk.)
15-year-old Isabelle (Belly) is heading off with her mother and brother for a summer at the beach, with her mom’s best friend Suzanna, and her boys Conrad and Jeremiah.
Belly has had a crush on Conrad for as long as she can remember, but he treats her like a little sister. Belly is hoping that this year things will be different and that Conrad will notice her as a girl for once.
What is special about this summer though? What is going on with Conrad? And who will be Belly’s summer romance this year?


This was an okay YA coming-of-age story, but I would have liked more romance.

I felt a bit sorry for Belly in this book, and not only because they call her Belly! In the flashbacks it was obvious that the three boys all treated Belly like an outsider cause she was younger and the only girl, which wasn’t very nice for her, and they hadn’t changed much now that she was older.
Although there was a bit of romance in this story it was more a coming-of-age story, and most of the actual romance happened between Belly and Cam – a boy she met on the beach, which was a bit disappointing.

The storyline was okay, although I was surprised that Belly didn’t catch on faster to what was going on with Suzanna, it was pretty obvious to me. It was a bit odd trying to work out which boy Belly was actually interested in at any one time, as she seemed to like Conrad, Jeremiah, and Cam at one point or another.
I thought the ending was okay, although I expected a bit more romance. I would like to read the next book to find out what happens next but at £5.49 for the kindle edition I think I’ll wait!
I will say that this book has me longing for the summer and the beach though! I’m so jealous! I’d love to spend a whole summer at a beach house enjoying the sun, sand, and sea!
Overall; an okay YA coming-of-age/contemporary romance story.
7 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. This is one of those titles you remember even if you forget what the book's about or who wrote it!

    ReplyDelete