Saturday, 17 August 2013

The Adoration Of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson



The Adoration Of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Jenna Fox recently awoke from a coma, the result of a tragic accident that took place a year ago. Jenna has trouble remembering past events from her pre-coma life and soon begins questioning whether or not her memories are even her own.




The Adoration Of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Adoration Of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1)(Source: Purchased in paperback from Play.com)
17-year-old Jenna wakes from a coma not knowing who she is, or anything about her life. She learns that she was in some kind of an accident, and has been in a coma for over a year, and her parents encourage her to watch home movies of herself to see if she remembers anything.

When Jenna does begin to remember, it’s odd things, things she thinks she shouldn’t remember – her baptism, and another event that occurred before she even turned two. There is so much that Jenna doesn’t understand though, and she wonders if she needs to find out about her past to be able to move on with her present.
Who is Jenna Fox now? What happened to bring her to where she is now? And what does her future hold?


This was an interesting story, but it needed more excitement for me.

Jenna was an interesting character in that who or what she was was a mystery. I felt sorry for her in that she couldn’t remember her past, but I wasn’t really sure what to feel when what she was now was revealed.

The storyline in this book was okay, but I did make an educated guess as to what had happened to Jenna fairly early on, and was ultimately proved right. I felt that the pace in this one was maybe a little slow for me, as I just wanted to find out what was going on and have the mystery solved.
I felt that Jenna was justified in her reaction to her parent’s confession as to what they had done to her, and I also felt that she was justified in the action that she took.

I wasn’t sure about the ending of this one until the very last chapter. I thought that the last chapter did go a certain ways to explaining some things about Jenna though, and her thoughts on what had happened to her after a long time to consider things. She made some good points though, and I felt more connected to her in this last chapter than at any other point during the book.

I’m not really sure that what happened in this book will ever be allowed to happen in real life. I think that it is something scientists might aspire too, but I doubt that the ethical ramifications of this sort of thing would ever get backing from an ethics committee, and fear that it would in practice create more problems than it solves.
Overall; an interesting story, with some interesting points raised.
6.5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I read this last summer so I can't really remember what happened now but I remember I actually really enjoyed it! I can see your point about how what happened in this book might not be something that would ever realistically happen due to ethical reasons...but then again, you never know what is going to happen in the far future, do you?

    Nice review, thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like a lot of books are falling flat on excitement for you. Hope the cycle is broken soon.

    ReplyDelete