Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Steel Lily (The Periodic Series #1) by Megan Curd


Steel Lily (The Periodic Series, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
AVERY PIKE is a commodity. No, more than a commodity. Her existence is guarded at all costs.

She’s a water Elementalist, the strongest of her dwindling kind. She creates steam to provide energy to fuel Dome Four: the only thing standing between humanity and an earth ravaged by World War III. No steam, no Dome. No Dome, no life.

Or so she thinks.

That is, until a mysterious man offers her a way out of having to donate steam. A way to escape the corrupt government of Dome Four. While the offer seems too good to be true, Avery is intrigued.

But when she arrives to her new home, she realizes the grass isn’t any less dead on this side of the fence. Instead, the lies are just hidden better.

…Which means digging deeper.

When Avery enlists the help of her friends to uncover the truth, she learns that while some secrets are better left concealed, humankind was never meant to live in a cage. And when you can control the most sought after resource, you can learn to control anything…including the fate of your world.


Steel Lily by Megan Curd

My rating: 2.75 of 5 stars


Steel Lily (The Periodic Series, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Megan Curd.)
15-year-old Avery can control water and turn it into steam, a skill that is in demand in the dome in which she lives.
Orphaned and being taken care of by the government, Avery spends 3 days every week producing steam to power the dome where she lives, but she’s little more than a glorified slave, and sneaking away to visit her old friends in the traditionals sector lands her in trouble.

When a strange man turns up who has no need for an oxygen mask when the filtration system is off, Avery and her friend Alice go with him to another dome, where they think that things will be better. Little do they know that they’re just in for a different kind of trouble.
What really happened to Avery’s parents? Why doesn’t Jaxon need an oxygen mask when there’s little oxygen? And will life really be any better at another dome?


This book was okay, but the pace was just too slow for me, and I sort-of lost interest.

Avery was an okay character. She did what she needed to do, but she also seemed to get pushed around by people a lot. Admittedly a lot of the time she was being blackmailed or coerced into doing stuff, but she was pretty downtrodden. While I felt sorry for her and the situations she was in, I also wanted her to maybe fight back a little more than she did. She seemed to think that surviving alone wasn’t good enough, but I didn’t really see her doing anything to improve things. She just complained about it, quite a bit, and I got a bit sick of it.

The storyline in this book was okay, but for me it just felt like it took ages for anything to happen. The pace was so slow that I got really quite frustrated, and also pretty bored, and I had to force myself to keep reading unfortunately.
There was some action in this book, and there were threats and unexpected occurrences, but for some reason I just couldn’t get into the story. The story was written well, there weren’t any obvious plot holes, and the story was believable, so maybe this was just a case of wrong book, wrong person, but the story just dragged for me.
I did like the romance part of the storyline though. Jaxon was such a flirt and such a sweetie, and I liked Avery and Jaxon together. When we actually got some kisses between this pair it was really lovely, and I really wanted things to work out for them as a couple.

The ending of this one was okay, and I was glad that even though we had some casualties, we did get a happy ending. Unfortunately this wasn’t enough to redeem the story for me, and I don’t think I’ll be reading the next book in this series.
Overall; a slow paced YA dystopian/steampunk story, with a dash of romance.
5.5 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. I'm starting to enjoy books where a character can control an element -- great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised you finished it. Losing interests sucks the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame you found the pace too slow I really did enjoy the book quite a lot

    ReplyDelete