Thursday, 8 August 2013

Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing #1) by Heather L Reid

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Heather L. Reid, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) Members' Titles, and Netgalley.
Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
It’s been twenty three days since Quinn has slept for more than minutes at a time. Demons have invaded her dreams, stalking her, and whispering of her death. The lack of sleep and crippling fear are ruining her life. Energy drinks and caffeine pills don’t make a dent. When Quinn dozes off in the school hallway, Aaron, an amnesiac with a psychic ability, accidentally enters her nightmare. The demons are determined to keep them apart, and Aaron from discovering the secret locked away in his memory. Together, they could banish the darkness back to the underworld for good. That is, unless the demons kill them first.




Pretty Dark Nothing by Heather L Reid

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Heather L. Reid, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) Members' Titles, and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Quinn hasn’t slept properly in days. Every night her dreams are filled with shadows and demons, and she tries her best to stay awake instead of falling asleep.

The demons and shadows also follow her around during the day though, and she’s already lost her boyfriend, and her position as head cheerleader, as well as being put on academic probation.

Aaron, a boy at school has some sort of psychic abilities, and has some idea of what is plaguing Quinn, he isn’t sure if he can help her though.
Why are these demons targeting Quinn? Can Aaron help her? And will she ever have a decent night’s sleep again?


This was an okay story, but I got bored.

Quinn was an okay character, but I didn’t quite get why she didn’t seek psychiatric help for her visions and nightmares. If I was unable to sleep because of terrible nightmares, and was seeing shadows and demons and stuff, I would at least consider that I was crazy, and try and tell someone what was going on, rather than trying to survive on no sleep and red bull. Especially after being put on academic probation and losing the head cheerleader position.

Aaron was an okay character also, although I was less than impressed when he described Quinn as having a ‘pale, pathetic face’. Who describes the girl they like this way? Not exactly charming them there Aaron.
Quinn’s ex-best friends and ex-boyfriend were also pretty nasty characters, and I really wished that she would just avoid them.

The storyline in this book was alright, but I did find my attention wavering. As I got further in I did get a bit bored, and felt like I was forcing myself to keep reading. I don’t know why this was, but I just wasn’t able to get into the story at all.

There were a couple of things that annoyed me about this book. Right at the very beginning Quinn says about how she hasn’t slept properly in 23 days, yet a little way into the book she sleeps for 15 hours, and actually sleeps. Why was that night different? I don’t get it. This wasn’t explained at all, and as we got further into the book it was almost like the not-sleeping properly thing was forgotten.

Then there was Quinn’s relationship with Jeff, her ex-boyfriend. I got that he had been her best friend, and that they had been together for 3 years, but he was cheating on her with her best (girl) friend, and hadn’t exactly been supportive of her when she was failing and not allowed to be head cheerleader any more. He also seemed to want to walk all over her, and she was happy to let him, which was pretty annoying. She really needed some sense knocking into her when it came to Jeff.

I really didn’t like the ending to this one either. There were some surprises at the end, including the death of a main character, and although we did get some insight into what had been going on, I was so bored by that point that I didn’t really care, and the death just annoyed me. I also didn’t appreciate the cliff-hanger ending, and I don’t think I’ll be reading the next book in the series.
Overall; okay YA paranormal story, but I got a bit bored and annoyed by it.
4.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Oh no, I was looking forward to this one. Such a great cover.

    ReplyDelete