Tuesday, 27 August 2013

My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake #1) by Chelsea M. Cameron

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin and Netgalley.
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Two secrets. One bet. Who will break first?

Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college roommate or punch him.

On the one hand, Hunter Zaccadelli is a handsome blue-eyed bundle of charm. On the other, he's a tattooed, guitar-playing bad boy. Maybe that's why Taylor's afraid of falling in love with him, or anyone else. She doesn't want to get burned, so she needs him gone before it's too late.

Hunter himself has been burned before, but Taylor's sexy laugh and refusal to let him get away with anything make her irresistible. Determined not to be kicked out of her life without a fight, Hunter proposes a bet: if she can convince him she either truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment;and leave her alone.

But when the man behind Taylor's fear of giving up her heart resurfaces, she has to decide: trust Hunter with her greatest secret, or do everything in her power to win that bet and drive him away forever.


My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin and Netgalley.)
19-year-old Taylor is shocked when it seems that her new roommate for her sophomore year is going to be no other than a boy!!
Hunter is sexy as hell, and it’s obvious that he likes Taylor, but she has got no intentions of ever having a relationship with him, or even putting up with him as her roommate.

With accommodation services unhelpful, it looks like Taylor will have to just put up or shut up, but it’s not that easy with Hunter flirting with her all the time.
Is there any hope for Taylor and Hunter? Will she survive having him as a roommate? And what secret is Taylor hiding that makes her so against any kind of a relationship with a man?


This was an okay NA contemporary romance, but it just felt really long.

I can’t say that I really liked Taylor all that much in this book. I thought she was pretty harsh, made mountains out of mole hills, and if anything was a bit aggressive. I totally didn’t get why she had to be so nasty towards Hunter, and I really didn’t get why she kept insisting that she didn’t like him, even when she made it clear that she really did. She called him names, and was really quite vindictive, whilst all the time trying to get him to move out, which I thought was really not very nice of her.

The storyline in this book was alright, although I did wonder if the university would seriously expect a boy and girl to room together like that. I have a feeling that if they did they would be opening themselves up to possible lawsuits, so I’m not sure how realistic this aspect of the storyline really was.
It seemed quite obvious that both Hunter and Taylor had issues, but it just felt like it took forever for us to get any answers as to what was going on. For the best part of 80% of the book they just whined and moaned and argued with each other, and it got really old. I really don’t think we needed over 300 pages of their childish arguments and Taylor’s pretending not to even like Hunter, I had the picture well within the first 100 pages, and I really just wanted to know what was going on, and for Taylor and Hunter to actually have some sort of relationship with each other.
When the sex actually happened it was pretty good, and I was glad that Hunter and Taylor finally admitted their feelings for one another, although Taylor still seemed a bit reserved.
The ending to the story was okay, it just seemed to take a long time to get there, and the whole thing just felt like it went on for too long.
Overall; an okay NA contemporary romance, just a bit too long.
6.5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I've heard very mixed things about this book and not sure if it is for me. great review

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I find this sounding pretty adorable. I like it. And the cover is hot.

    ReplyDelete