Friday, 16 August 2013

Letters To Nowhere by Julie Cross - Blog Tour

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis as part of the Letters from Nowhere blog tour.





Author: Julie Cross

Title: Letters To Nowhere

Pages: 360

Publication Date: August 1st 2013

Publisher: Julie Cross

Genre: Mature Young Adult Contemporary

 


Her family may be shattered, but her dreams aren't...

From the International Bestselling Author of the Tempest series

A Mature YA contemporary set in the tough world of Elite Gymnastics. Grief, love and pursuing dreams are at the forefront of this emotionally powerful coming-of-age story.

Seventeen year old Karen Campbell has just lost both her parents in a tragic car accident. Grief stricken and alone, her gymnastics coach opens his home to Karen, providing her a place to live while she continues to train, working toward a spot on the world championship team.

Coach Bentley’s only child, seventeen year old Jordan is good-looking and charming enough to scare away a girl like Karen—someone who has spent ten times more hours on balance beams and uneven bars than talking or even thinking about boys. But the two teens share a special connection almost immediately. It turns out Jordan has a tragic past of his own, grief buried for years.

As Karen’s gymnastics career soars, her nightmares and visions of the horrible accident grow in strength. She can only avoid facing her grief for so long before it begins to surface and ultimately spin out of control in a very dangerous way. Can discovering love and lust (simultaneously) help with the grieving process or will it only provide a temporary distraction while waiting for reality to hit full force.


Letters To Nowhere by Julie Cross

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Letters To Nowhere(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis as part of the Letters from Nowhere blog tour.)
17-year-old Karen is a gymnast. Her plan had been to go to college and compete as a college gymnast, but then her parents died, and everything changed.
Trying to come to terms with her grief, and trying to work out what she really wants to do with her life, Karen isn’t ready to give up her dreams of being an Elite gymnast and competing for her country, even though her parents wanted her to compete in college gymnastics instead.
Can Karen be an elite gymnast? Can she come to terms with her parent’s deaths and stop it from interfering with her training? And is now really the time to become interested in boys?


This was a nice YA contemporary romance story, combined with the passion and devotion of elite gymnastics.

Karen was a great character. I really felt for her having lost her parents the way she did, and I really had my fingers crossed that she could pour that pain into gymnastics rather than let it take over her life. It was so disappointing that something like this could not only take her family from her, but also take her future career too.
I personally didn’t think much to Karen’s grandma who seemed happy to just throw money at her in order to get her to go away, so it was good that Karen had the support of her coach and gym-mates.

The romance in this book was slow and sweet, although I did wonder what trouble Karen was getting herself into by being attracted to the boy that she lived with. If things hadn’t worked out for them that could have been a seriously sticky situation, and I’m surprised that she didn’t worry about how inappropriate it was for her to be going out with a boy that she lived with, seeing as she’s still a minor she could have been forced to move out because of that!

I think I preferred the gymnastics part of the story to the romance strangely enough. I loved how passionate Karen was, how much effort and work she put into achieving her goals. I loved how much detail there was in the story in relation to the gymnastics, and it really showed how much time the author must have taken to research the topic, right down to Karen’s specific gymnast diet.
The ending of the story was okay, and I liked the direction that Karen was heading in, although I still don’t think that she was 100% ready for the challenges that lay ahead.
Overall; a good YA contemporary romance set in the world of elite gymnastics.
7 out of 10.








Author Bio


I live in central Illinois with my wonderful husband and three kids currently between the ages of 7 and 12 (the kids not the husband). My writing journey began in May, 2009 with a short story in a notebook.

 Within a year, I had written seven (some good some God-awful) young adult novels. Not being a college graduate and having spent the previous fifteen years teaching gymnastics and working as a YMCA Program Director for Recreational Gymnastics, professional writing wasn't in my plans. Not even close. But ever since the day I started that short story, I haven't been able to stop. It was love at first sight.

 After about a year of writing, I had a three book deal with St. Martin's Press, and a film option with Summit Entertainment. Crazy, right? I know. It wasn't until August of 2011 that I quit working full time in order to be at home with my kids more and of course, write more. My young adult time travel debut novel, Tempest, released on January 17, 2012. The rest of my personal story remains unwritten.
Links:

 Barnes & Noble click here.
 


Excerpt:


“I have two confessions to make.” He rolled his eyes toward the ceiling, then moved them back to meet mine. “Make that three confessions.”

“Should we go in the chapel?”

“Actually, it’s four now and right here is fine. The chapel makes me nervous.” He grabbed my hand and stopped it from moving through his hair. “First off, that is making me crazy. Way too crazy to think straight.”

I opened my mouth to say something, but he shook his head at me. “Still got three more. Number two . . . I might have kidnapped a pair of your panties. They’re pink and they ended up in my laundry and I’m keeping them. I don’t care what you say.”

I must have looked totally shocked because he pressed a finger to my lips, not letting me speak until he finished. “Number three . . . the first time I met you, I called you the wrong name on purpose. I knew exactly who you were. I watched you at Nationals last year. And since I know you’re going to ask, I thought you were really great but playing it safe and I also thought you were underscored in execution. But when I found out my dad would be coaching you all the time and then when I found out you were moving in, I was hoping you would turn out to be a big whining brat or a total bitch so I could hate you and not be jealous of all the time you got to spend with my dad.”

My heart sank. I pressed both palms against his cheeks. “Jordan, I’m sorry. I can’t—”

He reached up and smoothed my hair back behind my ears. “It’s okay. I’m at the gym almost every day now, too. That’s not why I told you that. And I have a number four, remember?”

I forced a smile. “Okay, number four.”
 
He let out a breath. “I met your mom.”

“What? When?”


2 comments:

  1. thanks for the review and joining in on the blog tour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read a book about gymnasts. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete