Friday, 9 August 2013

Dear Cassie (Pretty Amy #2) by Lisa Burstein

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and Netgalley.
Dear Cassie
Blurb (From Goodreads):
What if the last place you should fall in love is the first place that you do?

You’d think getting sent to Turning Pines Wilderness Camp for a month-long rehabilitation “retreat” and being forced to re-live it in this journal would be the worst thing that’s ever happened to me.

You’d be wrong.

There’s the reason I was sent to Turning Pines in the first place: I got arrested. On prom night. With my two best friends, who I haven’t talked to since and probably never will again. And then there’s the real reason I was sent here. The thing I can’t talk about with the guy I can’t even think about.

What if the moment you’ve closed yourself off is the moment you start to break open?

But there’s this guy here. Ben. And the more I swear he won’t—he can’t—the deeper under my skin he’s getting. After the thing that happened, I promised I’d never fall for another boy’s lies.

And yet I can’t help but wonder…what if?


Dear Cassie by Lisa Burstein

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Dear Cassie(source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Pretty Amy’ series, although this could probably be read as a standalone novel.
17-year-old Cassie is being sent to camp to straighten up after being arrested for drug possession the night of her prom.
Why is Cassie so angry though? What makes her constantly pick fights and swear? And can camp really help Cassie?


This was an okay story, but I found it a bit boring in places.

Cassie was obviously a very angry girl, and every other word out of her mouth was the f word. She spent a lot of time pushing people away, and telling people that she didn’t need them, when really she was punishing herself for the mistakes that she had made.
Strangely enough it seemed that she still wasn’t over being stood up at her prom, even when she had more important things to worry about, and still blamed a lot of other people for the way things had turned out.

The storyline in this book was mainly about Cassie and the things she learned about herself whilst at camp. There was a touch of mystery over exactly what it was the Cassie couldn’t forgive herself for, although I personally guessed what that was very early on in the story. There was also a bit of romance, although not much, and also a little insight into the lives of the other campers.
Although the story was alright, I did find it a bit boring in places and very little seemed to actually happen. Most of the story was taken up with Cassie moaning over one thing or another, or trying to get cigarettes from one of the other campers. I also thought that there was a lot less humour in this one compared to ‘Pretty Amy’ which was a shame.
The ending of the story was okay, although I’m not really sure Cassie made that much progress. She certainly hadn’t improved her language, and I don’t think she’d really forgiven anyone, least of all herself for the events since the prom. I thought the whole idea of this book was for Cassie to move on, but I wonder if she will continue to repeat past mistakes.
Overall; an okay story, if a little dull in places.
6 out of 10.


1 comment: