Friday, 23 August 2013

Dead Chaos (Dead Chaos #1) by April Brookshire and Ryan Brookshire

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author April Brookshire.
 
Dead Chaos (Dead Chaos #1)Blurb (from Goodreads):
Zombies plague the apocalyptic landscape, insatiable and wreaking havoc on the remaining uninfected. Settlements desperately hold out, fighting for the last remnants of civilization while striving for a return to normalcy.

At twenty years old, I should be worrying about final exams and where I’m going for spring break. Instead, I’m sharpening blades and loading guns.

My family chooses to make its home away from the settlements, deep in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. We raid stores across the state, gathering supplies which we in turn trade to the settlements.

It’s a simple, but dangerous, existence and biters haunt us every step of the way.

Lucky for us, I have a secret . . . I’m a necromancer.

My name is Anya Donovan and this is my survival story.


Dead Chaos by April Brookshire

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Dead Chaos (Dead Chaos #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author April Brookshire.)
20-year-old Anya lives in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by zombies, where she fights with her family to keep herself and her loved ones alive.

Anya has a special ability, just by thinking about it, she can send out a signal which can switch the zombies off for an hour. This is obviously a very useful skill, and soon Anya finds her group attacked by a rival gang who want her for their own because of her ability.
Can Anya’s family keep her safe? Is her fate to be kidnapped or killed? And will she ever get the wedding she dreams of?


This was an okay zombie story, but parts of it irritated me.

Anya was an okay character; I was a little concerned about how blasé she was at times though. Firstly I found it a little silly the way she started going on about her wedding, I mean, in this sort of post-apocalyptic world would you even bother with a minister and a church? Wouldn’t that be kind of unnecessary? And if she and her boyfriend had been together for so long, why hadn’t they done this before?
Then there was the fact that both Anya and her boyfriend Kyle were saving themselves for marriage. I know that’s a personal choice for people to make, but when any day could be your last, would you really wait? I mean they were twenty already, not exactly kids.
I also found it a little odd, that considering how valuable condoms were, and how they could be used as currency, that Anya would make a comment about having to soon start collecting them for herself. Wouldn’t she have been collecting these in raids from the get go? Would there even be any left at Wal-Mart if they were so valuable? I doubt this to be honest. Surely anyone with half a brain would have been taking these off the shelves on raids for as long as possible, knowing that there’s not exactly going to be more being manufactured anytime soon.

The storyline was alright, but I didn’t find myself sucked into the story. I kept noticing things that annoyed me, and I got irritated by the way that people seemed to focus on things that I would not have labelled as important. I felt that maybe Anya and her clan were a bit too nice and too naïve to have survived so long in a zombie apocalypse, and I didn’t really get why they had survived as long as they did, even with Anya’s ability.
The ending wasn’t really an ending at all. The story basically just stopped, leaving us with a cliff-hanger, and unfortunately I didn’t enjoy this enough to want to read the next book in the series.
Overall; an okay, if slightly disappointing zombie novel.
4.5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds badass but a book that annoys you is no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if it annoyed you so much why finish the book i thought it was pretty good and now your making it sound like a waste of your time to read it

    ReplyDelete