Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare


Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In magical Victorian London, orphan Tessa found safety with the Shadowhunters, until traitors betray her to the Magister. He wants to marry her, but so do self-destructive Will and fiercely devoted Jem. Mage Magnus Bane returns to help them. Secrets to her parentage lie with the mist-shrouded Yorkshire Institute's aged manager Alyosius Starkweather.

 

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Infernal Devices’ series, and kicks off where book 1 ‘Clockwork Angel’ left off.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘Clockwork Angel’.**
Whilst Tessa may have escaped the Magister once, he’s still after her, and the shadowhunters are determined to protect her from him. Tessa’s new found abilities make her indispensable though, and she is asked to assist Charlotte in finding the Magister, and all in two weeks, or the running of the institute will be out of her hands.
Who is the Magister? What does he want with Tessa? Who else is he involved with? And can Tessa and the shadowhunters work it all out before it’s too late?


This was a great book, with some really sweet romantic moments, as well as the fantasy adventure.

I loved the characters in this book. I loved how we got to see Charlotte’s softer side, I loved Tessa and her internal debate over Jem and Will, I loved Jem and the way he opened his heart to Tessa, and I loved how we learned why Will was so good at pushing people away. I also loved some of the lines in this book, with a quote from Will being my favourite “your skill with a hand mirror is to be admired Sophie, but your knot making could be improved.” – you probably have to be there to appreciate that quote but I found it really humorous.

I thought the storyline was really good, and we moved on from what we learned in the first book. I also loved to hate that little love triangle that of course had to be present. I felt really sorry for Tessa having to choose, but I felt a bit sorry for all three of them really, as a love triangle is not a nice place to be for anyone in my opinion.
There were some really romantic moments in this book though that were just so sweet! These totally made the book for me, and added that little something extra to the storyline.
I did think that the book was once again quite long though, and thought the pace could have been a little quicker at times.
The book did of course end with a cliffhanger, and I’m really interested to see where the story goes from here.
Overall; a great second instalment.
8 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I just don't think I can do it. I don't think Clare is the writer for me. Happy you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete