Tuesday, 6 August 2013

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and Netgalley.
All Our Yesterdays
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A brilliantly brain-warping thriller and a love story that leaps back and forth in time - All Our Yesterdays is an amazing first novel, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games.

Em is locked in a bare, cold cell with no comforts. Finn is in the cell next door. The Doctor is keeping them there until they tell him what he wants to know. Trouble is, what he wants to know hasn't happened yet.

Em and Finn have a shared past, but no future unless they can find a way out. The present is torture - being kept apart, overhearing each other's anguish as the Doctor relentlessly seeks answers. There's no way back from here, to what they used to be, the world they used to know. Then Em finds a note in her cell which changes everything. It's from her future self and contains some simple but very clear instructions. Em must travel back in time to avert a tragedy that's about to unfold. Worse, she has to pursue and kill the boy she loves to change the future.


All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


All Our Yesterdays(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and Netgalley.)
20-year-old Em is imprisoned in a cell with a drain in the middle. In the cell next door is a boy – Finn.
Em and Finn don’t know much, but they know what they need to do – escape from their cells, go back in time four years, and kill him.

Four-year-earlier – 16-year-old Marina is in love with the boy next door – James. They’ve always been best friends, but she needs to tell him how she really feels now. That is if someone doesn’t try to kill James and his brother first, and Marina and Finn don’t end up in harm’s way too.
Who must Em and Finn kill? Why must ‘he’ die? And can this story ever have a happy ending?


I really enjoyed this story, I loved the mystery of how things had turned out the way they had, and how Em and Finn would change both the present and the future.

Em was a girl on a mission, even if completing the mission would kill her both emotionally and literally. I loved trying to work out the relationship between Em and Marina, and how their lives would overlap, and I loved doing the same with the other ‘future’ characters Finn, ‘him’, and ‘the doctor’, and the ‘present’ characters – Finn, James, Nate etc.. It was obvious who Finn was in both times, but not obvious who the others were, and it was a bit of a mystery as to who was who. As the story progressed we slowly became aware of who was who, and why for the fourteenth (yes fourteenth) time of coming back in time to try and change things, Em knew that she had to kill ‘him’.

I liked the storyline in this book, although the talk of paradoxes and stuff in this one was pretty confusing, as it was explained that time ironed out paradoxes, and something about a shadow always making sure the important thing happened or something?! Confusing to say the least so I ended up ignoring that bit mostly just so that I could enjoy the story.
I liked the idea that Em had a list of different things that she’d tried previously to try and change things, and I liked that she had difficulty doing what she knew that she had to do. I liked the very slight romance going on between Em and Finn, although strangely the person I felt most sorry for was James (I’m not telling you why ‘cause that might spoil things!).
Things ended in this book in possibly the best way, although it wasn’t really what I was expecting. While things turned out mostly positively though, I couldn’t help but feel really emotional at the end too, as I felt that the best thing for the masses was not necessarily the best thing to a small number of people, who had to sacrifice a lot to keep everyone else safe. The ending of this one actually left me close to tears, and I still feel sad over the way things ended. I really wish that things could have ended differently, even though fourteen other Em’s couldn’t achieve a better solution.
Overall; an enjoyable time-travel story, with an emotional storyline.
7.5 out of 10.


'All our Yesterdays' is released 1st August 2013 in the UK, and 3rd September 2013 in the US.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I really enjoyed this story, though yeah, I was sad at the end too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never heard of this one before and it sounds pretty dang good. Though the end scared me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this, although I also wish it could have ended differently. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you overall enjoyed this one. I've been wanting to read it for months now. The premise sounds really intriguing.

    ReplyDelete