Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Timepiece (Hourglass #2) by Myra McEntire


Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard was never supposed to be able to see ripples - cracks in time. Are his powers expanding, or is something very wrong? Before he can find out, Jonathan landers, the man who tried to murder is father, reappears. Why is he back, and what, or whom, does he want?

In the wake of Landers' return, the Hourglass organization is given an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the people who might carry the time gene, or time will be altered - with devastating results for the people Kaleb loves most.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Landers. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...


Timepiece by Myra McEntire

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is the second book in the ‘Hourglass’ series, and kicks off where book 1 ‘Hourglass’ left off.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘Hourglass’**
Kaleb has his father back, but his mother is still in a coma. Jack is still at large, and the rips in time are getting worse.
Can Lily use her gift for finding things to find Jack? Can Kaleb find a way to bring his mother out of her coma? And what does Jack want now?


This was an okay second instalment in the series, but I did find myself bored quite a lot.

I found this book really difficult to read, because I just couldn’t connect with Kaleb as the main character at all. I really didn’t like being in his head instead of Em’s, and when he then spoke with Em, I got confused over who was saying what, because I was still thinking like I was Em.
The other characters in this story were okay, but again, I just couldn’t connect with the story, and if anything, this got worse the further into the book I got.

The storyline was also okay, but most of it I found a bit boring and slow. Again, this seemed to get worse the further into the story I got, and by the 60% mark I felt like I was having to force myself to keep reading. I even put this down to go and make peanut butter cookies because they were the most memorable part of this book for me!
The ending was again okay, but I got a bit confused over who was doing what and where, and whose memories had gone walkabout etc. etc. and I found it really difficult to keep concentrating on this.
I really hope that this book is just a case of second book syndrome, and that the final book ‘Infinityglass’ will be better and more like ‘Hourglass’.
Overall; an okay second instalment, but I felt bored.
6 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, not good if you can't connect with the main character. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete