Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Storm Born (Dark Swan #1) by Richelle Mead


Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1)Blurb (from Goodreads):
Just typical. No love life to speak of for months, then all at once, every horny creature in the Otherworld wants to get in your pants. . .
Eugenie Markham is a powerful shaman who does a brisk trade banishing spirits and fey who cross into the mortal world. Mercenary, yes, but a girl's got to eat. Her most recent case, however, is enough to ruin her appetite. Hired to find a teenager who has been taken to the Otherworld, Eugenie comes face to face with a startling prophecy—one that uncovers dark secrets about her past and claims that Eugenie's first-born will threaten the future of the world as she knows it.
Now Eugenie is a hot target for every ambitious demon and Otherworldy ne'er-do-well, and the ones who don't want to knock her up want her dead. Eugenie handles a Glock as smoothly as she wields a wand, but she needs some formidable allies for a job like this. She finds them in Dorian, a seductive fairy king with a taste for bondage, and Kiyo, a gorgeous shape-shifter who redefines animal attraction. But with enemies growing bolder and time running out, Eugenie realizes that the greatest danger is yet to come, and it lies in the dark powers that are stirring to life within her...

Storm Born by Richelle Mead

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
26-year-old Eugenie Markham is a shaman who makes her money by banishing disruptive fey and spirits from the human world
Something stranger than normal is going on though, and for some reason fey and spirits are addressing her by name, and propositioning her!
Why does everyone suddenly know her name? Why the sudden interest in bedding her? And what of the prophecy of the Storm King Heir?


This was a great urban fantasy story, with a kick-ass heroine, and some steamy sex scenes.

Eugenie was a pretty kick-ass female lead. She believed in what she could do, and didn’t let other people’s doubts cloud her ability to get things done.

I wasn’t expecting the sex in this book, it’s probably just because I read so many young adult books, but this was a refreshing change. The sex was hot and steamy, and I loved guy no 1 – Kiyo; the shape shifting fox!

I liked the storyline in this book, and I managed to keep up with the plotline even when there were multiple characters involved. I did guess part of the storyline involving Eugenie’s heritage, but I didn’t guess it all, and I liked that.

My favourite part of this book was probably the humour though. Some of the jokes that Eugenie made were really funny, I will definitely remember the one about flowers and chocolate being plant genitalia and aphrodisiacs.

This book reminded me of several other urban fantasy series, and I’d say that if you’re a fan of urban fantasy, you’ll probably like this.
Overall; a kick-ass heroine, a great urban fantasy storyline, and steamy sex scenes.
7.25 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Love me some urban fantasy. I have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete