Tuesday, 21 May 2013

The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2) by Maureen Johnson

Sponsored Post - Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins Publishers and Netgalley.
The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When madness stalks the streets of London, no one is safe…

There's a creepy new terror haunting modern-day London.
Fresh from defeating a Jack the Ripper killer, Rory must put her new-found hunting skills to the test before all hell breaks loose…

But enemies are not always who you expect them to be and crazy times call for crazy solutions. A thrilling teen mystery.

 

The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins Publishers and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Shades of London’ series, and picks up a couple of months after the end of book 1.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘The Name of The Star’**
Following Rory’s encounter with the ‘Jack the Ripper’ copycat in book 1, she’s been recovering at her parents rented home in Bristol, and seeing a therapist 3 times a week, even though she can’t tell her therapist what really happened in London.

Rory’s discovery that she seems to now be a human Terminus means that she knows she has to go back to London though, and she has to try and find Stephen, Boo and Callum and explain to them what has happened.

Finding herself sent back to ‘Wexford’ Boarding School in London, Rory finds herself concentrating less on her studies, and more on finding the spook squad, and busting some more murderous ghosts. How long can Rory continue neglecting her studies though? Can Charlotte’s strange therapist help her too? How long can the ghost busters continue without a working Terminus? And how does Rory feel about her possible future as part of their squad?


This was a great sequel to ‘The Name of The Star’, I loved Rory, I loved the atmospheric nature of the story, and the ending was so sad it made me cry!

Rory is quite damaged by her previous experiences in London, and it’s taking her a while to work through things, especially seeing as she now has no one that she can confide in. She knows that she needs to go back to London, but it’s more because she needs people she can talk to, rather than wanting to go back to school. It’s really easy to relate to Rory in this respect, because she really is doing her best to recover from her trauma, and she seems to know better than anyone what she needs, even if it’s not what everyone else thinks that she needs.

It was good to go back to Wexford and catch up with all of Rory’s old friends though, especially when she managed to get back in contact with Stephen, Boo, and Callum. It was obvious how much they all needed each other, and even though Rory wasn’t ready to jump straight back into the job, she was able to focus on important things, and help when she was really needed. She even put extra effort into trying to solve a murder which wasn’t necessarily unsolved, and kept an eye out for things resembling what happened during her own attack.

There was a small hint of romance in this book, but it was very, very slight. The main storyline was concerned with Rory’s recovery, and the new ghostly murders happening in London, and it flowed really well. I liked how it wasn’t the same storyline rehashed, and I liked how all the characters had been changed by what had happened in book 1.
The ending to this book was a big shock though! Something totally unexpected and sad and shocking happened which I really wasn’t expecting, and it even made me cry! It’s obvious that there will be another book after this one, but how Rory will recover from this newest tragedy remains to be seem, I can only assume that she will be even more damaged in the next book than she was in this one which is really sad. I really want to read the next book now though!
Overall; a great ghostly/paranormal YA murder mystery.
8 out of 10.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

6 comments:

  1. I didn't really have an interest in this series before, but you've gotten me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. II was very disappointed in this book. I thought that Rory lost some of her spark and I thought the whole Jane thing was weird and let's not get started on the ending. I thought book one was great but this one sadly just was not up to snuff. I don't know if I will continue the series or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that ending!!!!!
    While I liked the first book better, I am definitely dying to see where this story goes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I'm scared of the ending now, lol. Just started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeep you're making me SO curious about the ending! I have had this ARC for months and it's still unread and I really liked the first one so I don't know why I'm taking so long to get to it (wow worst run on sentence ever!). I can't wait o get back to Wexford! I,m also glad the romance is kept on the light side again! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I skimmed the review since I haven't read the first book but I am so happy you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete