Thursday, 30 May 2013

TaleSpins (TaleSpins #1-3) by Michael Mullin

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Michael Mullin.
TaleSpins
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A trilogy of alternative fairytales and retellings. Discover the real Snow White story through the eyes of Creepy, the unknown 8th dwarf! Meet a teen princess who hires "The Frog Prince" witch to get revenge on a Mean Girl at school! And learn how the giant, boy thief and magic beans tale truly went down!


 

TaleSpins by Michael Mullin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


TaleSpins(Note: I have reviewed the first two stories in this book seperately, so you may have already read the reviews for those 2 stories!)

Story 1 - 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Michael Mullin.)
This is a short story about the 8th dwarf from the story ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarves’. The 8th Dwarf is called ‘Creepy’ and he doesn’t get along with the other dwarves!
The story is told in verse, and is actually quite funny. I often think it’s difficult to re-tell a fairy-tale in a new and interesting way, but the author pulls this off in style!
I thought this was really fun and inventive, and I think it could be even better read out loud to kids! This is one that parents will enjoy also though, especially as there were a couple of tongue-in-cheek lines, and really did make me smile!
Overall; a fun and refreshing fairy-tale story that will make you laugh!
8 out of 10.


Story 2 - The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny
This is a short story, written in rhyme. Princess Penny is not popular at school, and wants to get revenge on her arch rival Darcy. After seeing an advert for a witch in a magazine, Penny sets off to find her and to get a spell for revenge on Darcy, but things don’t go according to plan, and Penny finds herself in hot water.


This was an okay story, but I didn’t like it as much as the first story in the series.
Penny seemed a little immature, and didn’t seem to realise that at times her own behaviour was similar to that of Darcy’s, and she didn’t really have time to spend on people who weren’t involved in her revenge plan.
I think the main problem with this for me, was that the lines were too long. This may sound weird, but I found it hard to keep the pace of the lines so that they rhymed properly, and often had to read the lines twice or more to get the effect that I thought the author was going for. Because of this, the poetry aspect felt a little like hard work, which was a shame.
The storyline was okay, but I think it would probably be more suited to a younger reader, as overall the pace seemed quite slow, and the ideas were quite simplistic. I personally wanted to read faster to find out what happened more quickly, but couldn’t because of the issues with the length of the lines as mentioned earlier.
Overall; this was an okay story, but it felt a little slow.
6.5 out of 10.


Story 3 - Jack'd
This is a bit of a strange retelling of ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’, in which Jack is a thief, and the giant is a doctor who lives in a penthouse apartment. The story is once again told in verse, only this time the prose is split into parts – the doctor’s point of view, and Jack’s point of view, and each has a different style of poetry.
I actually found that it took me two tries to get through this story, the first time I got fed up with trying to read the doctors parts so that they rhymed (the doctors verses were much longer sentences that rhymed) and I found it quite difficult to get the right rhythm. Jack’s parts were a lot easier to read though, and so I appreciated those verses more. I did go back to this story though, and I had more luck the second time.
I did think the story was quite strange, and it wasn’t your average re-telling of ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’. Instead there were some interesting little twists, and a moral that ‘crime doesn’t pay’.
I did appreciate the story once I got through it, but I did have problems again with the longer-line style of the doctor’s verses.
Overall; an interesting poetic retelling of ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’.
6 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know about a poetic retelling of JAck and the Beanstalk. It sounds interesting but poetry drives me nuts for stories because I get all focused on the rhyme and it distracts me from the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack sound interesting, but I don't do poetry, grr. Thanks for the reviews

    ReplyDelete