Saturday, 4 May 2013

Stitch (Stitch Trilogy #1) by Samantha Durante



Stitch (Stitch Trilogy #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Her heart races, her muscles coil, and every impulse in Alessa's body screams at her to run... but yet she's powerless to move.

Still struggling to find her footing after the sudden death of her parents, the last thing college freshman Alessa has the strength to deal with is the inexplicable visceral pull drawing her to a handsome ghostly presence. In between grappling with exams and sorority soirees - and disturbing recurring dreams of being captive in a futuristic prison hell - Alessa is determined to unravel the mystery of the apparition who leaves her breathless. But the terrifying secret she uncovers will find her groping desperately through her nightmares for answers.

Because what Alessa hasn't figured out yet is that she's not really a student, the object of her obsession is no ghost, and her sneaking suspicions that something sinister is lurking behind the walls of her university's idyllic campus are only just scratching the surface...

The opening installment in a twist-laden trilogy, Stitch spans the genres of paranormal romance and dystopian sci-fi to explore the challenges of a society in transition, where morality, vision, and pragmatism collide leaving the average citizen to suffer the results.


Stitch by Samantha Durante

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Stitch (Stitch Trilogy #1)(Source: I won a digital copy of this book.)
19-year-old Alessa is now at college following the recent death of her parents. The trouble is, she keeps seeing the ghost of a boy with blue eyes in the old house where her sorority lives, and she has a very strange attraction to him.
This apparition is not what he seems though, and Alessa’s whole life is about to come crashing down around her.
Who is the ghost? What is he to Alessa? And what is it that Alessa doesn’t know?


This book seemed to be a fairly okay ‘girl loves ghost’ story, until around the 60% mark, then it got really strange!

Alessa was a normal enough college student, other than the fact that her parents had been killed quite recently, and she was still trying to come to terms with their deaths. She was actually quite relaxed when it came to the whole seeing-a-ghost thing, and wasn’t too upset by it, even though it didn’t seem that she had seen any before.

The storyline of ‘Alessa tries to save boy who died in fire 100 years okay’ was okay, ignoring the whole paradox thing of changing history, but then at around the 60% mark, there was a shocking revelation, and the whole story got turned on its head! ! What started out as a ghost story became something different entirely, and I wasn’t even sure as to whether I should believe what was going on, or think that Alyssa’s friend who told her the news was delusional!
I didn’t really connect with the last 40% of the story after that, and got a little confused by exactly what was going on, and who was who, and what exactly they were trying to achieve.
Overall; this book was okay, but while the first part of the book was a little slow, the second half was a bit bizarre, and I found it a little disjointed. Don’t think I’ll be rushing to read the sequel unfortunately.
6 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. I've been reading all kinds of comments about this one. I need to read it and see what I think:) So many different ratings for different reasons. Makes me more curious!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hate when books take an 180. It messes me up and usually ruins the book for me. Now I am scared to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved the characters in this one Of course I like Aleesa as she is a main character, she is a strong female character, in that she doesn't sit down and let things unfold around her, if she doesn't like something she isn't afraid to rebel and/or make a stand. I also like Janie, the sacrifice she makes in the book for her sister to escape is done with no fuss, without her sisters knowledge, it is done so selflessly.
    I do intend reading book two as I think it'll get even better . . .if it does I'll let you know and maybe you'll give it a go? ;)

    ReplyDelete