Monday, 13 May 2013

Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead



Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Blood doesn't lie...

Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning...


Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)(Source: I borrowed a copy of this book.)
When Sydney’s father wakes her in the middle of the night to join an alchemist’s meeting, the last thing she expects is to be spent to Palm Springs to share a room with a Moroi vampire!
It’s the alchemist’s job to keep vampires under control, but because of a change of monarch, the new queen’s sister – Jill is in danger, and it’s now up to Sydney to keep her from harm, even if that means attending boarding school with her and pretending to be her sister.

There’s more going on in Palm Springs than Sydney know though. There’s aMoroi vampire who is being investigated because he might be selling his blood, and there’s several other people lurking around who seem to cause trouble without even trying. There’s also the small matter of several girls being found dead with their throat slit open, and a tattoo parlour that’s selling magical tattoos.
Can Syndey keep Jill safe though? What is the alchemist who is in charge of Palm Springs up to? What is going on with these magical tattoos? Who is killing girls and slitting their throats? And is there anything to the ‘Vampire Hunter’ rumours?


An interesting take on vampires, with a feisty main character.

When I saw this at the library I decided it was probably time for me to give this series a try!
Sydney was a truly feisty main character, and she was also professional and considerate. She took her job protecting Jill very seriously, and made a real effort to keep things under control, both at the school and elsewhere in Palm Springs. She made a point of sorting things out, even small things that other people wouldn’t have thought important, and even tried to help the other Moroi vampires who were close to Jill.

Some of the other characters were a bit annoying though – Keith especially. Jill was a little whiney, and I don’t get why things like the fact that she wouldn’t be able to do PE in the sun weren’t addressed before they went out there! Adrian was alright, and I’m guessing we’re going to be hearing more from him in the next books.

I liked the storyline in this book, and I liked that there was a lot going on without it being confusing. I liked how the different storylines tied together, and there were plenty of twists and turns that I didn’t see coming. I thought that the take on vampires was very different to what I have read before which was a refreshing change. It was also good to read a book where people weren’t falling all over themselves to become vampires!
I haven’t read the ‘Vampire Academy’ series so I can’t compare the two, but I thought this was pretty good, the ending left lots of storylines open though which will obviously continue in the next book. This book did have an ending though, although considering what happened Sydney certainly seemed to get a lot out of the ending of this book!
Overall; a different take on vampires, with a feisty main character.
7 out of 10.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

3 comments:

  1. Cool, glad you liked this one. I haven't read Vampire Academy yet either, but I'm curious about the different take on vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Vamp Academy more, but still like this series and think it gets better as you go on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this book so bad. I still have not read a book by this author. I know I am missing out.

    ReplyDelete