Monday, 6 May 2013

Belonging (Temptation, #2) by Karen Ann Hopkins



Belonging (Temptation, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
I left everything I knew behind.
But it was worth it. He was worth it.

No one thought an ordinary girl like me would last two minutes living with the Amish, not even me. There are a lot more rules and a lot less freedom, and I miss my family and the life I once had. Worst of all, Noah and I aren't even allowed to see each other. Not until I've proven myself.

If I can find a way to make it work, we'll be NOAH & ROSE

together forever.

But not everybody believes this is where I belong.


Belonging by Karen Ann Hopkins

My rating: 4.25 of 5 stars


Belonging (Temptation, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Temptation’ series, and kicks off where book 1 ‘Temptation’ ended.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘Temptation’ (ie: like the fact that Rose and Noah are still together)**
Having made the decision to join the Amish community in order to be with her Amish boyfriend, Rose now has to get used to her new plain life, and all the new rules and laws that come with it. The Amish aren’t exactly making this easy for her, but thankfully a few key people are supporting her which she desperately needs.

Just because Rose and Noah are trying to build a relationship, doesn’t mean that everyone else is helping too. Rose’s father and brothers are still expecting her to come home, and are unhappy when it seems that she’s not budging, and there are several members of the Amish community who are trying to put a spanner in the works too.
Can Rose and Noah really be together? Will Rose take the next step and become fully Amish for him? And how long can a relationship work, when people are trying to tear it apart?



Beautiful and un-put-down-able, this story is one hell of a rollercoaster ride through Amish customs, and one girl’s undying love for her Amish boyfriend.

I was really excited when I saw this book on Netgalley because I was so interested to find out what would become of Noah and Rose, and how Rose would manage living an Amish life. Book 1 raised some serious questions for me about Rose and Noah’s relationship, and by half-way through this instalment, these same questions were raised again. How could Noah seriously expect Rose to give up everything to become Amish to be with him, when he was willing to give up… nothing? Even after Rose has made such huge sacrifices; given up her family, her friends, her home, her way of life, and even her clothes, watch, and shoes, Noah seems unwilling to give up anything, which gives me serious worries over the longevity of their relationship – how long will it be before Rose resents the fact that she is the only one to have made sacrifices for this relationship?

Anyway, there isn’t really a lot of romance in this instalment, as most of the time Rose and Noah are kept separated for some reason or another. When they are together things are emotionally heated though, and it is obvious that they feel real passion for each other. It’s this passion and longing that keep the tension in the story, and keep you desperately reading to find out what will happen next!
Rose and Noah both seem to love each other, and it seems to be constantly other people’s interfering that messes with their relationship, it’s good to see how difficult it is for people to keep them apart though, and good to see what happens after the ‘love at first sight’. Even against the odds I kept routing for Rose and Noah to somehow find a way to make their relationship work, as it seemed unfair how difficult it was for them to be together.

We got a bit more of an insight into the Amish way of life in this instalment which was interesting, and it was easy to see where Rose might have difficulties with the lifestyle, and difficulties realising that her own wedding would be a sullen and dull affair – something difficult for any girl to accept. Again though, it seemed that Noah thought that Rose would become Amish and love it, and it was a little difficult to accept that he thought that this was easy for Rose.

I really liked the storyline in this book, and I thought that the whole Amish thing was dealt with really well. The problems between Noah and Rose were not going to be easily solved, but I really hope that the possible light at the end of the tunnel comes through for them.
The ending of this book was pretty messed up, with Rose regretting some decisions that she made, and a massive cliff-hanger for us to think over until the next book comes out! (I want it now!)
Overall; a beautiful and compelling tale of a young couple in love, and the people that are trying to tear them apart. Highly recommended.
8.5 out of 10.



buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

5 comments:

  1. Very rollercoasterish. It really did a number on my emotions.
    And yes on the messed up ending, I totaly can't wait. I have a few predictions but I hope I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely curiosu about this series as I find the AMish culture fascinating but I know very little. It would have to be a great love for a girl to give up so much and join that lifestyle. Ugh though to the cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good... Just finished the Elite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you liked this one. Not really my taste but I have seen a lot of people love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked this one! This series isn't for me. I tried the first book but couldn't get into it.

    ReplyDelete