Friday, 26 April 2013

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden #2) (ARC) by Julie Kagawa



The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.



The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin Teen and Netgalley.)
This is the second book in the ‘Blood of Eden series’, and picks up where book 1 left off. **Warning – some unavoideable spoilers for book 1 (such as where book 1 left off!)**
Alison is now determinedly searching for her sire Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by Sarren, she’s also determined to find a cure for red lung.
Trying to track Kanin through their blood bond, she inadvertently finds her blood brother Jackal instead, and although she doesn’t want to trust him, she feels like she has no choice.

Can Allie find Kanin and save him before he loses his mind? Just how much can she really trust Jackal? And is there even such a thing as a cure for red lung?


This was an enjoyable book, but like the first, it was quite a slow story, and felt like it took ages to get through.

Allie was once again portrayed as a kick-ass heroine with a heart. A girl who knew right from wrong, and wasn’t afraid to stand up for what she thought was the right thing to do, be it to help vampires or humans or both. I think she did sometimes do things without considering the consequences, or exactly what she was getting herself into, but thankfully things seemed to work out most of the time.

There were some familiar faces again in this book. We once again come across Zeke, Kanin, and Jackal, and visit some of the same places we saw in the first book.

I did like the storyline in this book, although the story itself did seem quite slow.
The whole ‘searching for a cure’ part reminded me of the ‘Partials’ series by Dan Wells, where the main characters are also trekking around looking for a cure for a disease – a disease that affects two different races(?) of people (vampires and humans in this one, partials and humans in partials). It also reminded me of the partials series because like those books, this story is also long! (and it feels it.)
There were some surprises in this book, and I’m happy to say that there was some romance again between Allie and Zeke. There were some moments where I was wondering what the hell Allie was doing though, and why she was so trusting of certain parties.
The ending of the book was certainly the most compelling part of the story for me, with a horrifying occurrence, and then a bit of a cliff-hanger at the end! Once you’ve read this you will certainly be wanting to read the next one!
Overall; a slow story, but a good second instalment, with a bit of a cliff-hanger ending.
7 out of 10.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

5 comments:

  1. Its funny because I didn't like the first as much and I thought it dragged until the last few pages. I will still continue on with the series but it isn't the fave so far. :/

    Great review Sarah!

    Tt@ Never Ending Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Def agree about the slow start, but then I got really involved and the ending really got to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you said. I just finished the book. It was so slow. It took forever for me to read. And Allison is too trusting. The ending kind of pissed me off but now that I had a few hours to get over it, I have to admit, it does make me excited for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review...I agree, it was a slow start, but once it picked up, I found it intense and hard to put down. And that ending, GAAAAHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...this may suffer from a sophomore slump but I'm still very eager to read it!! For some reason, this series is really refreshing for me. I can't wait to read it myself. Hopefully you'll enjoy book 3 more :D

    ReplyDelete