Sunday, 14 April 2013

Taken (Taken, #1) (ARC) by Erin Bowman

Taken (Taken, #1)
Blurb (From Goodreads):
There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?


Taken by Erin Bowman

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


Taken (Taken, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperTeen and Edelweiss.)
Gray’s brother Blaine is about to turn 18, which means that he will soon be lost to the ‘heist’. Every male in Claysoot is taken at the strike of midnight on their 18th birthday, the ground shakes and a bright light envelops them, and then they are gone.

With Blaine gone, Gray is alone, apart from Emma, a girl who was Blaine’s best friend, who Gray has always had feelings for. With Blaine no longer in the picture, a romantic relationship forms between Gray and Emma, but when Gray discovers a secret that was hidden from him by his mother and brother, he begins to believe that maybe he is special, maybe he can beat the heist.

Taking very little, and saying goodbye to only Emma, Gray heads for the boundry wall, the wall that surrounds Claysoot. No-one who has tried to leave over the boundry wall has survived, but Gray goes over it anyway, he’s in for a shock when he realises that Emma has followed him though.
What lies on the other side of the wall? Can anyone beat the Heist? And why is Gray special?


This was a great dystopian adventure, with plenty of twists and turns and a dash of romance.

This book grabbed me from about the 10% mark, and was a really compelling read! Gray discovered a letter from his mother to his brother than stopped at a crucial point, and I was just as desperate to find out what the rest of the letter said as Gray was!

Gray was quite a tough, headstrong character, and although he tried to keep others safe, he thought little of his own safety, and often just did what he wanted to do, and never mind if it might kill him. He was quite a blunt character too, and not afraid to let people know that he didn’t like them, even when that involved punching a girl in the face!
I liked the romance between Gray and Emma, and their relationship was really sweet. I was also really impressed when Emma followed Gray over the wall – it was unexpected, and a real girl-power move!

There were plenty of twists in this story, and plenty of things that I didn’t see coming! I was shocked in several places, and there was a real feeling of trepidation and intrigue woven into the story.

Overall; a fast-paced dystopian adventure, with plenty of twists and surprises.
9 out of 10.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, Brilliant Review. I have seen this book about, but your review has really captured my attention and this looks like a great book. New follower, I saw your review on Geek Girl on the Book Depository, follow back maybe? I'd love it if you checked out my blog. Love your blog btw :D

    - Sunny @ www.asupersunnyspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pink Lady that your review is brilliant. I so agree with it. It was a page turner that I couldn't put down either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one just wasn't my kind of book, but I'm happy to read a great review of it. It's fun to read a completely different opinion.

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great! I love dystopians, and the premise for this one is super interesting. Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking for a good dystopian. I love the sound of this one. Sounds like great characters. :) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You liked it a lot more than I did. I disliked the main character A LOT! I felt no connection at all to the characters in this book. AND, I felt like the author kept introducing so many different things and never followed up on them. Also, the big premise of him missing his brother and all isn't addressed once he's out side the wall, which I think should have been done since that is what he was brooding over so much before they left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of stuff going on! i think i just got wrapped up in danger and the chase. There isn't much said about the brother once they're over the wall but I thought that was because they had other things to worry about - like not getting killed! It was nice that things worked out with his brother in the end though.

      Delete
  7. Grey is very headstrong but it worked for me too

    ReplyDelete