Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1) by Cecily White



Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Amelie Bennett. . . . Ending the world, one prophecy at a time.

I was born to slay Crossworld demons.
Big black flappy ones, little green squirmy ones. Unfortunately, the only thing getting slain these days is my social life. With my high school under attack, combat classes intensifying, and Academy instructors dropping right and left, I can barely get my homework done, let alone score a bondmate before prom.
Then he shows up.
Jackson Smith-Hailey. Unspeakably hot, hopelessly unattainable, and dangerous in all the right ways. Sure, he’s my trainer. And okay, maybe he hates me. Doesn’t mean I’ll ignore the wicked Guardian chemistry between us. It’s crazy! Every time I’m with him, my powers explode. Awesome, right?
Wrong.
Now my teachers think I’m the murderous Graymason destined to bring down our whole race of angelbloods. Everyone in New Orleans is hunting me. The people I trusted want me dead. Jack and I have five days to solve the murders, prevent a vampire uprising, and thwart the pesky prophecy foretelling his death by my hand. Shouldn’t be too difficult.

Getting it done without falling in love. . . that might take a miracle.

 

Prophecy Girl by Cecily White

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and Netgalley.)
17-year-old Amelie is a channeller. Descended from angels, channellers channel otherworldly energy to kill demons, and Amelie knows that this is what she was born to do.

Before chanellers can graduate from their special school, they are put into pairs or bondmates – one channeller, and one guardian, but Amelie isn’t ready to be paired with anyone at her school, until Jackson Smith-Hailey shows up. The problem? He’s not a student, he’s a teacher!

Strange things are happening though, and after several people turn up dead, the finger ends up pointed squarely at Amelie, even though she has nothing to do with it. There are things that Amelie doesn’t know though, things her father has hidden from her, and a prophecy that does not look good for her.
Will the prophecy concerning Amelie come true? Why is she so attracted to Jack? And what has her father been hiding from her?


I enjoyed this book. Even though some of the ideas might be considered cliché by some people, I liked the little touches and the writing style that made this a really entertaining read.

Amelie was a truly kick-ass heroine! She was stubborn and bold and often did exactly what she wanted to do, even if it wasn’t the thing she should be doing! She totally held her own, and wasn’t afraid to make sacrifices for something she wanted.

Jack was a real sweetheart! I liked him right from the beginning, and I loved how whilst keeping Amelie at a distance, it was also pretty obvious how he felt about her.

I liked the romance between Amelie and Jack. There wasn’t a lot of it, but the teasing and arguments between them were like flirting, and I loved the idea of bond-mates. Even though the soul-mate idea is not new, I liked how Amelie and Jack created yellow sparkles when they touched, and I liked how they both showed that they cared for each other without words.

I liked the rest of the storyline, and I liked the brief glimpses of demon hunting that we got. The ending was pretty dramatic, and fitted with the rest of the story, although the thing that happens to Amelie right at the end was a little strange!
Overall; a good YA paranormal, with a dash of romance.
7.5 out fo 10.



buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

3 comments:

  1. A and Jack sound like fun characters to read about even if some of themes are a on the side of cliched

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind cliché as long as it's a good read. happy to hear it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where
    I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    Take a look at my web-site ... Sac Louis Vuitton

    ReplyDelete