Sunday, 17 February 2013

Delirium read-a-long, week 2

WEEK 2 QUESTIONS
 
 
1) Lena says she is looking forward to the cure because it is a "chance to be reborn: newer, fresher, better". Although we don't have "the cure" can you relate to Lena? 
I can totally understand her wanting a change, or wanting a better life. She is so restricted by what she is allowed to do or say, it's a wonder she hasn't gone mad. I can't imagine living in a world where even your parents don't love you, so I can see why she would want to stop missing this.

2) What events do you think shaped Lena's world view? Why do you think she is so eager to accept the cure and be rid from love once and for all? 
I think what happened with her mother has affected her most of all. I'm still a little surprised that she wants the cure though considering that her sister was so different after they did it to her. A gain though, it can't be easy to live without love. It may be preferrable to be cured and not miss love and affection any more.

3) Music plays an important part in these chapters -- when Lena goes to the party in the field she experiences been swept up by the unauthorized music and it moves her. Have you ever had a similar experience? If you were to make a Delirium playlist what songs would you include?
Totally. I have no idea what songs I'd put in playlist though! Maybe 'Zombie' by the cranberries owuld be fitting - 'In your head, they are fighting'

4) Carol said that believing in Invalids living in the Wild is similar to believing in werewolves or vampires, make-believe stuff, but then we learned that Alex is from the Wild. What do you think is really out there? 
Communities of the uncured. It's ridiculous to say that believing in invalids is like believing in vampires. They know that invalids were there to be exiled, they didn't exile any vampires.

5) We learned a bit more about the society Lena lives in, particularly about the cure and the often violent raids. What do you think about the worldbuilding in Delirium after reading chapters 8-14? Why do the raids have to be so violent and humiliating? 
The raids are seriously brutal and disgusting. Talk about overkill. The only thing you can assume is that the government must be seriously worried about the invalids or they wouldn't respond so harshly. This should give them hope.

6) Which particular event do you think caused a breakthrough in Lena's perception of the political system and cure? When do you think she first started having doubts? What affected her the most? 
Alex kissing her to seemed to have the biggest effect! I think finally feeling emotions similar to love woke Lena up. It's a shame it didn't happen sooner!
 
 Quotes:
 
“The question was: Will you meet me tomorrow? And the word was: Yes.”  


“It will kill me, it will kill me, it will kill me. And I don't care.”

5 comments:

  1. Who says vampires aren't real? LOL. This series is one I will definitely need to read before I die...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I wish I had time to re-read this before I start Requiem. I hope I remember what I need to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, if I had the life she had, I could see why the cure would be appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just starting this book, I wish I would have seen this read along before :(

    ReplyDelete