Friday, 16 November 2012

Renhala by Amy Joy Lutchen - Author/Book Spotlight and Author Interview


Renhala

Kailey Rooke, timid accountant, dedicated to philanthropic work, finds herself spiraling into a deep depression after she suffers a horrifyingly odd and humiliating assault, to only discover more of these freakish assaults occurring across the globe.

A chance discovery leads Kailey to a meeting with elderly Gunthreon, actual master of persuasion. Gunthreon, who seems to know too much of Kailey's history for her liking, opens Kailey's eyes to a coexisting realm she never knew existed: Renhala, while entrusting her with the knowledge of her newfound power as karmelean, serving as a beacon to the Higher Ones. Kailey slowly starts revealing new talents, and Gunthreon is fascinated with what she starts achieving.

She soon discovers that Renhala is in danger, and this danger has been leaking into her own realm. As she uncovers secrets within herself, and attempts to toughen up, she fuses with an unlikely band of fellow travelers (including a dragon, woodsprite, six-hundred-pound greble, her faithful female canine companion, and a "giver"), falls into an unexpected love triangle, deals with her sexy and flirtatious best friend’s “issues,” and finds the courage to master a new deadly weapon.

On her mission to save Renhala, Kailey will find herself running from life-threatening disasters, such as greble Tartarin, who likes to remind Kailey that when he catches her, he plans on eating her brains with ice cream; she'll run from the deadly meeples: small cute bunnies with talons and an undeniable thirst for imposing self-destruction on others. Kailey will also run into the possibility that a centuries-old Renhalan rumor is true, that advanced technology existing in Kailey's realm shortens all life spans.

As blood is shed and puzzles near completion, Kailey pulls from deep within herself, conjuring up mystical qualities that enable her to astonish as once predicted at her birth, but despite the newfound strength, Kailey will discover that monsters not only come in ugly packages, but can be easily disguised as those she has come to love and trust.



Interview with the Author-

Amy Joy Lutchen

 Amy Joy Lutchen 

Hi Amy! Welcome to the blog! 
Hi! I am sooo excited to be here! But I'm kinda nervous *sinking in my seat*.
 
When did you start writing? 
Well, I started some writing in college and my English teachers really thought I should continue and keep at it, for they really liked my ideas, but at the time I was going for a business degree, with a focus in accounting, so I had no time for "creative." Yeah, "creative" accounting is not a good thing.
When I began writing Renhala 4 1/2 years ago, I immediately fell in love with what I was writing, and also the sheer process of it all. I couldn't, and can't stop!
Can you tell us a bit about ‘Renhala’ and your Inspiration for it?
 Honestly, what inspired me was a whole bunch of crappy stuff that happened (one being a horrific assault by a drugged-up homeless man) and was happening (my young, but very sick parents were slowly dying) in my life at that time. One day, I sat down and started scribbling stuff on a sheet of paper, particularly, the ugly and uncontrollable events that were holding me down from enjoying my life and and preventing me from seeing the visibly wonderful things that were happening right before my eyes. But then once I wrote the words down, I realized I could take control of those words and I totally beat them down until what was left on the paper morphed into something entirely different, and entirely magical: Renhala! Renhala is about a place where one can discover their true potential, and perhaps pull a few hidden tricks from deep within those unused portions of their brain :) 
 
What three words would you use to best describe ‘Renhala’?  
Unique, captivating and . . . did I already say MAGICAL?
 
Can you tell us a bit about Kailey Rooke, the main character in ‘Renhala’?  
Kailey is something special. She represents the ability to overcome fear of the unknown. You know, that piece of us that we hate to admit exists? Yes, she is us. Kailey is lovable, and you want to root for her at every fork in the road, and at every unforseeable turn she must take.
 
Is ‘Renhala’ a standalone novel or will this be part of a series?  
Series...Shhhh, not everyone knows this.
 
Can you tell us about your other books? (If you have any)  
No other books, but man have I got a boatload of ideas stirring!
 
Can you tell us what you’re working on at the moment? (If you are) 
Book two of the Renhala series--a shorter book, but not any less exciting! :)
 
Other than your own, what are your favourite books?  
I love me some fiction! Le Guin, Weis and Hickman, Laurell K. Hamilton, and Gaiman are some of my favs. Also, I'll read ANYTHING Stephen King--talk about original works of art...
 
Random Questions

-          what’s your favourite treat?  
Macarons with a nice cup of tea (with cream)! OMG, macarons, with their crispy, chewy outside shell and gooey  inside. And the fillings! Yummmm. This is embarassing to admit, but recently, while taking a stroll in the nearest Super Target, I discovered they were selling them in the bakery, and I kinda made a scene. Can you imagine this ordinary, 30+ year-old patron suddenly jumping up and down and squealing like a baby at the sight of those colorfully delightful cookies? No? Ok, then it never happenend.
 

-          What’s your Favourite place to read/write?  
Starbucks. Do we have to put a trademark symbol after that?
 
-          If you won the lottery what would you most look forward to spending money on?  
My two boys, for sure, but not to where they turn into little snobby demons...and I just might need a Mercedes of some sort. And, maybe my husband would finally get to restore his '69 GTO that's been sitting in the garage for the past frickin' ten years. LOVE YOU, HONEY! (He might read this).
 
-          If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Hmmm. Hmmm. Ok, somewhere entirely covered in moss--I LOVE MOSS! Maybe I could live in a little moss-covered hut somewhere in a magical-type place like in Legend (remember that movie?) with patches of rainbow flowers surrounding my land. Oh, and unicorns roam my land, and scholarly giants keep the peace. It could exist, somewhere. I gotta go write this down! After a quick trip to my local Super Target...
  
Thanks so much to Amy for stopping by the blog!
You can find her here:

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before. It sounds interesting. Well, it sounds like a fresh, fun fantasy (alliteration not intended).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like it has non-stop action from start to finish with a very different story line to a lot of books. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my first interview!! It was sooo fun! And Sarah made it easy :) Renhala is definitely different...

      Delete